GO!

What motivates your dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 7:18am PST 
Food is pretty big, sometimes too big. laugh out loud Tugging . .. she likes to fetch a stick, but not balls so much.

But she loves agility just for the fun of it--she loves jumping on and over things.

What all this AND I get food at the end too? shocklaugh out loud
[notify]
Ninja PD- SR-1 FDCH-G- TF3

Take That!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 1:39pm PST 
Ninja is motivated by toys, working, and engaging with me. He is also motivated by food to a point, except for when toys and certain working situations are happening. If i tried to get him to take food during Flyball or out hiking or racing on the bike he would either take it in his mouth and spit if right out or not take it. He likes to work for his raw food and work best for food in lower excitement places. He loves to tug and play ball and his frisbee. He also is motivated by just doing the work at hand, he loves a job. He also is motivated by engaging with me, running with me, roughhousing with me, chasing me, ect, with our without a toy or food.

Riley is kinda the opposite. She is hugely food motivated above all else, followed by working with me, and then toys are probably lowest on her totem pole.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 3:55pm PST 
You wouldn't think it to look at him, but Gunther is passionate about training.. He's so motivated the second I get the clicker out he'll do it for anything. He loves to get a goofy sounding "Goooooooood Booooiiii", and he'll work for a toy. Sometimes food is just overstimulating, honestly.. But I use it to teach new things just to seal it in his mind quick.
[notify]

Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 5:22pm PST 
Koby's food and toy driven, specifically balls, the larger the ball the better. Enormous balls are even better. Kali is food driven and praise driven. I trained her and got her CGC certified without treats. I only used praise because she can't have treats. dancing
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 7:06pm PST 
The pup-

Food.
More food.
Anything that resembles food.
Tug.
Ball.
Environmental reward (ie. being released to go sniff or chase.)
And somewhere far, far down below all that, praise. She is not particularly interested in my approval. laugh out loud

The old girl-

Praise.
Food/Ball.
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 10:21pm PST 
For Lobo, it depends on the context. The more we work together, the more he seems to genuinely want to WORK more than play. Which I guess isn't that surprising, since he's not that type of a dog. He's a serious old oaf.

I think meat tops the list(chicken, specifically; he doesn't really like the processed stuff lol), with real cheese a close second(as in, he prefers chicken normally, but he likes it when I change it up randomly with cheese; if I use meat too much, he gets bored and stops working).
Kibble is actually pretty high on the list. I think that's probably because he eats raw meat, while Poppy eats kibble, haha. I think raw meat and kibble is pretty equal, though.
He LOVES to play chase/tag and wrestling.
Tug toys are next.
Tennis balls he enjoys, but he's not much of a fetching dog.
And praise/petting is probably last on the list, haha. When I come home, yeah, he loves to be scratched and massaged, and after a nice game of wrestling, we cuddle together and rest for a few seconds. But when he's learning, I better not expect praise to go very far, haha.

You know, there have been times when, while we're working, Lobo takes the food and spits it back out after the click. It's only happened once or twice, but I think, when we're really in the zone, he works more for the click than anything else. Which is AWESOME. (:
[notify]

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 12:35am PST 
Well, my dog Peggy seems to be really driven by food. And I mean really driven. She just seems to eat and eat that we were so worried of her getting obese eventually. Thank God she didn't. But it's good to know that Peggy loves exercising with me and my husband. And, yeah, after the exercise, she fills her tummy yet again. It's cute but kind of on the edge of unhealthy so we try to balance her exercise and food consumption. big grin
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2