GO!

Is Your Dog a Protection Dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 33)  
1  2  3  4  
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 12:06pm PST 
Both of the boys are pretty good watch dogs. They alert me if someone is pulling into the driveway or just walking past the house. Ringo has more of a high pitch bark, but Hucks is deep and to the point. If I heard them barking, I don't think I would attempt to break in. But, I think as far as an intruder in house, Ringo would probably lick him to death, but I think Huck would take a chunk of his butt.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 9:09pm PST 
Noah is a good watch dog, but a guard dog he is not. Nor would I want him to be. I don't want him assuming that it's ok to "protect the house" just because he doesn't know the person walking through the front door.
[notify]
Murphy

Why run when you- can hop??!!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 1:30pm PST 
I used to think that when it came to protection Josh was too people friendly and Murphy was too scared to do anything. But now I think, depending on the situation, they would probably do something. Especially if they were together.

They also create a big fuss whenever someone comes up to the door but once we let the person inside they are fine and are very friendly. Though I have seen how they have acted when they are caught off guard protecting the turf. A few weeks ago my brother came home after a camping trip & was wearing a hat, Josh did not recognize him and began growling and barking very deeply. There has also been a few times when I have come pretty late & the boys were in a different room and would come out growling & upset. Of course once I started talking they turned to mush. laugh out loud

If someone did break in I doubt Josh would ever actually attack someone, Murphy might if the person really scared him or possibly if someone tried to hurt me (he is very protective of me). They would create a lot of noise that is for sure. I do think if I was attacked while walking them that there is a greater chance they would both bite. One time when we were walking, a man (dressed almost all in black) was running behind me when he went to pass us and came very close to me. Josh had been watching this guy the entire time and as he got closer he began to growl (totally surprised) and when the man passed by me both dogs barked loudly and lunged a bit! The only time that has ever happened. I know not the best behavior but I will say it made me feel more safe walking them.
[notify]

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 33)  
1  2  3  4