GO!

chasing cats

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 8:02pm PST 
I posted this in puppy place a few weeks back, but got no response...thinking
Training with Lexus has gone really really well, she is very smart and catches on quickly. 2 things I am having trouble with however are loose leash walking and cat chasing. I am working every day on the leash walking but I am not sure how to go about cat chasing. We have 2 cats, Lexus only chases one because the other one hisses at her and then she backs off, the other cat just kind of takes it. Lexus could be in a deep sleep.....eating.....laying down.....playing with her toys......anything, but the second she spots the cat, boom she's gone, she chases him until he gets himself over the baby gate and up the stairs! Keep in mind Lexus has no intention on hurting him, she only wants to play but my kitty doesn't so much feel the same way, so if anyone has any tips on how to just get her to cool it even a little bit with the chasing, I would very much appreciate it.
Thanks smile
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 8:00am PST 
I taught Fritz to sit when he see's a cat. However, if he isn't under human control he will kill the cat. It does keep him from jerking me down every time he see's a cat.

I would be very careful, Lexus may just want to play now, but chasing and playing is how young wolves learn to hunt. Once she is grown, chasing and playing may turn into chasing and killing.

I would try to find an alternative behavior that isn't compatible with chasing the cat to teach. I wouldn't ever lever her alone with a cat or allow her to chase your cats, even if it means closing them off from her.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 11:33am PST 
She is never alone with them, that's for sure. And they do at least have areas they can go to be away from her, we have our living room closed off by a gate to the rest of our house so usually the cats and dogs are on either side. Just when a cat will jump in, the chase is on. I am keeping a very close eye on it though, and I dont allow it to happen, because I dont want her to eventually hurt him in any way but it would be great if I could just get Lexus to sit and not take off when she see's them.
[notify]