GO!

So Proud of My Boy!!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 2:50pm PST 
I suppose when you adopt an "average" dog there are alot of things you take for granted. But when you adopt a dog who you know from the beginning is going to take some time...simple things like taking a good long hike become special moments.
When we brought Callie home those first walks were a challenge, other dogs, cars headlights coming towards us, street lights flashing, people...just about any people would set him off into a pitty nightmare. He also had the habit of grabbing his leash in his teeth for a tug of war game that would last for blocks.
But now a couple months later he's a much happier, peaceful guy. Today a ridgeback came running down it's driveway to say hello...oh crap, I held my breath...the owners wife was quietly flipping out but the owner was really kind "Oh hello, what's his name? Hi Callie this is...aren't you a good boy" and he was fine, not even a peep.
And another gentleman called from his front yard "Wow what a great dog!!!". I'm so happy he's getting this positive feedback. My husband calls it kind of the Herman Munster Effect. Callie is an imposing looking guy and that probably led to alot of people being unkind in the past, but the more people he can meet that can see what a gentle boy he really is, the better rounded he'll be...snoopysnoopysnoopy
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 5:16pm PST 
cheercheercheercheer

That's great!!! You definitely should be proud of him, and yourself too big grin
[notify]