GO!

George still attacking :(

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
George

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 8:29am PST 
Still having problems with George getting to excited & attacking me. He really growls & launches himself at my arms & legs but when he does get me luckily it is not to hard although I have had a few scratches & bruises. I first tried the old Milan trick of grabbing him & putting him down on the floor but he just seemed to enjoy the fight & then played dead when I finally pinned him down so I changed tack & just fended him off & went inside leaving him on his own but this has seemed to have no effect. Should I try & take him on once again or is there a nicer way to solve the problem?? shrug
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 9:09am PST 
No pinning. Not a good idea at all.

Have you tried redirecting him with squeaky toys? Or a tug rope?

If that's not working, then keep a small leash on him and if he starts his biting, very gently and quietly take the leash and take him to a bathroom (or any room you can close the door) and put him in and close the door. Leave him there for a minute, then let him out.
You don't have to scold or say anything. Just silence when you give him the timeout.
I've had great success with this.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 9:19am PST 
It is so much easier to teach a dog to do what you *want, rather than trying to just "stop" another behavior. George sounds like a bratty teenager right now. Training daily is vital. Work on a sit to greet. Reward for having four feet on the ground. Whatever action you want to see.
No more pinning the dog. Aggression is not the answer here. Try a crate. You say you leave him & go inside. But you probably do that at other times, so he won't associate his behavior with your leaving. Having a spot/kennel/crate that is his timeout spot would increase the likelihood of his making the connection of "I launched at human=I go to my spot". Then don't leave him there any longer than necessary before you come back & try again.
Consistency is key, along with daily training on all the basics.
[notify]

George

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 12:39am PST 
Thanks guys great ideas smile I have a little porch so I will pop him in there. The only problem being I have to catch him first frown I much prefer the positive approach to the Cesar Milan way of thinking but when you are a first time dog owner it is difficult to know who to believe.
These tips could make all the differnce smile
Cheers
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 1:46am PST 
I don't know if you're still looking for ideas or not but here's what i did with jake when i first brought him home and he was a mess. He'd charge the gate to get to me and then jump on me and follow me inessantly and cry.

When i came home if he was waiting at the gate jumping on it. I merely closed the door and went back outside. I'd try again and it wasn't until he was quiet did i return inside. If he'd jump on me i'd close the gate and go bout my business. I never spoke to him duirng these times either. Silence wa an effective communicator.

After a while I got to where Jake gave me a hand shake everytime i came home.

This really impressed people at daycare. Jake is so eggar to come to shake my hand so we can leave the he pulls to the door then sits and waits for my offered hand.

Good luck to you. Just have patience. Teenage dogs are the worse. i'm happy I adopted Jake as an old man big grin Already 3 and well outta puppyhood.
[notify]
George

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 2:37am PST 
Always looking for ideas smile The more I get the more I can sit down, work out a plan of action & hopefully stick to it until it works.
I've had so many over here tell me to dominate the dog & show him who's boss that it's nice to get some alternatives.
I think his main problem stems from just one walk a day which leaves him with to much energy but as he is fear aggressive with other dogs I only walk him at the crack of dawn to try & avoid to much stress as there are loads of stray dogs over here. He has a good size garden but tends to just take his frustration out on me frown
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 7:51am PST 
You have some good insight.smile There are "drag" leashes. Only 10-12 inches long. You can leave it attached so you can grab that as he goes dancing by. When he launches, step to the side so he makes no contact. Then quietly grab the short leash & calmly, quietly take him to his spot. No muss, no yelling.
Training recall will help. Two of my favourite books for new dog owners..or new to positive methods are: "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller, and "Train Your Dog Like a Pro" by Jean Donaldson.
Training will tire out his mind, walks will tire out his body. It doesn't need to take tons of time. If you train only during commercials, you will have done 20 minutes of training in a one hour TV show.
As he gets better trained, his confidence & trust in you will increase. That vital bond will strengthen.
[notify]
George

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 8:23am PST 
Thanks Squ'mey that really helps. I have tried to train him & he knows his commands but he just ignores me unless he is sure that I have really good treats & if there is anything else interesting going on.
As for the drag leed I can't find any over here but I have made a temporary one to try out.
Thanks againway to go
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 10:00am PST 
I posted a few months ago about feeling like a chew toy, so I feel your pain. I can tell you what worked with Callie of course every dog is different, every owner is different. Callie too goes bonker nuts when I come in the door. Not growling but leaping, nipping, wrapping his paws around me and them nails are hard!!!

I have toys and empty plastic bottles on the table by the door and after quick acknowledgement "HiiiiiHiiiiHiiii YesyesyesI'm soooohapppytoseeyoutooooo!!!!" I toss a toy over his head out to the kitchen. Then right to the kitchen and they sit to wait for their welcome home treat. By that time he's wound down enough from the excitment on his own.

Part of it is attitude, you needn't be overly harsh but just the facial expression and tone of "No you are not going to be mouthy with me for any reason". But don't do the pinning or rolling over, I don't feel that stuff helps the situation at all. But do praise them alot when they self-control. I give Callie big hugs and kisses when he dances in circles but doesn't nip-it's okay to be overjoyed your people are home but no bitieslittle angel
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 10:14am PST 
Could it be George is mimicking puppy play?

I tried putting Jake down in the very beginning of our time together as I was raised in the old school manner of dog training. This actually hurt our relationship and I regret doing it. + it didn't stop anything. Redirecting his attention to the handshake worked better.

You say he wont work but for treats right? Make yourself the most amazing fantastic treat ever. More specifically your attention or touch.

I did this by using spam in small chunks and when Jake was calmly minding his own business I'd treat him with a cube. That way he learned being calm would randomly earn him tasty treats. When coming home jake was behind a gate and learned by me ignoring him that tillhe chilled our I wasn't coming over. He got 0 eye ccontact and no touch till he chilled out. In the beginning it took as long as 20-30 minutes but now its about 30 second s.

Good luck. wishes
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2