GO!

Your dog/dogs best and worst breed-related trait?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 1:52pm PST 
I've been curious about different opinions of this for a while... A lot of owners can tell you their individual dogs best/worst trait but what about breed-specific traits?

For me, I'll start with Rocky...

*Rocky (GSD/Greyhound/Chinook mix) His best trait? His willingness to obey you, like a perfect older GSD puppy He would have rather ate his paw than ignore me BOL!
His worst trait? Greyhound zoomies! For the most part, they were hallarious but sometimes there was no stopping him and very often, he would break things but carry on zooming!

*Dexter (Border Collie)
Where to start puppy
His best trait is his sheer intelligence and willingness to learn. He gets so excited when I give him the slightest bit of praise... It makes training rather easy puppy
His worst trait? His instincts... I used to find it cute, but now I'm playing catch-up and having to retrain him to NOT herd everything that moves... Including leaves that just happen to be blowing in the wind confused

Skipper (Parson Russell Terrier) is only seven weeks old at the minute and doesn't come home until Thursday but so far, I've noticed the terrier emerging puppy
His best trait, so far is his tenacity and utter cuteness BOL...
His worst trait? Thinking he's a Rottwieler... He grabs his sibling's legs and starts ragging them! His growl is cute at the minute but I keep thinking of ways I'll have to teach him to play nice... Fun times ahead!

So what about you guys? What are your fur-babies best and worst breed-related traits?
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 2:07pm PST 
I don't know their breeds for sure, but I have my guesses.

Sanka-Coonhound Mix

The Good: He's a good ole hound. Need to get mice out of the shed? He's on it. Having people over that he's never met? Don't care, he's happy to see them all.

The Bad: His houndy nose and general odor. Can't trust him off leash as he just goes where ever his nose leads. He also has that general hound odor. Days after a bath, and he's already quite stinky.

Kato-GSD Mix

The Good: Very smart and picks up on habits quite easily. Never met a GSD that wasn't intelligent.

The Bad: Barking. He's not a dog that just barks. But he's a dog that will bark at anything that dares come on to whatever he deems his property. It's not horrible. Sometimes I like it. But most of it is just a bit unnecessary. I don't need to know that there are people walking down the road at 2 in the morning.naughty
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 2:12pm PST 
Charlie(Beagle)... His best trait would probably be his incredibly tolerance of people and animals. Beagles are notorious for being great family pets because of this and it sure fits Charlie to a T. He's one of the most tolerant dogs I know. His worst trait would probably be how stubborn he can be! Whether it's his stubborn aptitude for following his nose, or him not leaving you alone when he wants attention and you don't want to give it - he'll harass you til you either give in, or give up.

Ria(Lab/Border Collie)... Her best trait would be her eagerness to please(likely from both sides, actually)! She's so smart and you MOMENT you ask her to do something, she does it INSTANTLY without question, and will wait for your next cue or direction. You ask for a down, and she drops like there's gunfire. Her worst trait would probably be her lack of impulse control(likely from the Lab side). She lacks impulse control and the patience to boot, which can of course, lead to all kinds of trouble for her to get into. You tell her not to do it, and it'll be so tempting, she has to do it as soon as you turn your back, lol!

Maya(Rottweiler)... Her best trait would have been how obedient she truly was. She would do anything to make her owners happy, and she always did her best to do exactly what you asked, when you asked, without question. Her worst trait would have been her fear aggressive behavior - a result of bad breeding, genetics, and the way she was raised creating a dog that was fearful of strangers and of the mindset that she needed to scare them away so they couldn't hurt her. It took a long time to help her overcome that, and even in the end, she was only 95% there.

Edited by author Mon Feb 25, '13 2:15pm PST

[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 2:32pm PST 
Missy a JRT x Yorkie - Best trait - Her intelligence and willingness to try new things out. She's brave and determined and has a zest for life that i really admire.

Worst trait - Her barking at pretty much everything. She's not a quiet dog at all and her barking often drives me insane. Also her DA issues and her general dislike of most other small animals.

Tyler - Lab/Whippet cross ( apparently Saluki in his make up too ) - Best trait - His extremely laid back temperament, his quietness ( complete polar opposite to Missy in that he's never barked at anything other than in play ). He's gentle, trustworthy in any situations and he's aloof and deeply attached to me.

Worst traits - Much like Sanka, his desire to follow his nose at every given opportunity. This doesn't pose much of a problem in day to day life but it means he can be frustrating to call when out on walks etx because he must finish smelling or following his nose first, before returning to me. Also his general lack of drive. He doesn't want to do anything other than be the fab pet he is which i've found frustrating in the past.

Edited by author Mon Feb 25, '13 2:33pm PST

[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 3:56pm PST 
Ava (unknown mix)
I guess one of her best traits is how mellow she is inside. smile Even when she was a puppy she wasn't really hyper or destructive save for eating socks. She's a couch potato, and it's freakin' hilarious how she'll actually come up and beg for you to move so she can have your spot on the couch. xD

Her worst trait may be her stubbornness? She knows her commands. She does. She just chooses not to listen unless you've got food. laugh out loud

Nix (Border Collie)
His best trait I'd have to say is how focused he is on me. How he's really calm for a BC, but any time I want to go out, he's ready. He LOVES to play, loves to work, loves to learn new things, and also loves to cuddle!

His worst trait--totally breed-related--is how sensitive he can be. It's pretty common for BCs to develop weird phobias, and Nix is no exception. They come and go, and I've noticed it seems to depend on how bored he is/how much he's gotten to actually do that day. Makes sense. A month or two ago we battled through a random phobia of fart noises (yes. Seriously.) He's over it now, I'm happy to say. smile

Edited by author Mon Feb 25, '13 4:01pm PST

[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 4:06pm PST 
Jake's best beagle trait - He's got a great kind demonor towards almost all other animals. Unless you're a cow. Forget it he's gonna bark at you. He doesn't seem to mind horses but something about cattle irk him i guess.

jake's worst beagle trait- The stubborn nose to the ground lifestyle he leads. If i want to go left jake will sit down pointing right. Just because I want to go left. He's amazingly stubborn and will hold out if he's aware you have a treat. Though to jake a closed hand means "TREAT!!!" even if there is no treat. OH and i guess the nose ties with the food drive. He'll take off a hand if you have a high enough value treat.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 7:16pm PST 
Jake - cows set Charlie off too, but he'll make best friends with an horse that he meets. Maybe it's a Beagle thing. big laugh
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 7:34pm PST 
Best trait: JT has that wonderful Kelpie loyalty. He's always there and only has time for the select few people he likes. When we go to town he is just excellent and shows no interest in anyone. A few weeks ago we were standing outside a store and he went into a drop stay against my legs and just watched the world go by ... groups of teens, bike riders, running kids, passing pram wheels .... nope, none of that fazed him, he just wanted to body block me and keep me safe. He also sleeps by my door every night and alerts if he thinks something is off which is good. One time he even took on a thief in the backyard and chased him over the fence so he's a great guard dog. It's also awesome that I can leave him in the house all day and he touches nothing.

Worst: prey/Chase drive! ugh! Sometimes something just flips over in that Kelpie brain and he will take off when he's off leash after a car or whatever and won't come back! He trees possums, pursues birds, and last week bailed up a lizard as long as my arm that I had to rescue and stuff in a pillow case. Yay. silenced His other bad trait is if he sees a dog he doesn't like he turns into Cujo which I reaaaally don't enjoy. But luckily for me his good traits outweigh the bad!
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 7:35pm PST 
Lizzie (Australian Shepherd). Best: Her trustworthiness off-leash and biddability. Worst: Her need to control the movement of the other dogs in the house by barking and posturing. She is a great dog and is not your typical Aussie, very calm under most circumstances.

Sarah (Jack Russell/Beagle Mix). Best of the Jack- Her intelligence and drive to work. Worst of the Jack- Her "edge", it takes her awhile to get used to new dogs and she can be a bit mean when she first meets a dog. Best of the Beagle- She is awesome with my cats and gets along well with people. Worst of the Beagle- "nose goes" She will follow her nose to the end of the world if she has a good scent (this is probably heightened by the JRT in her that gives her the prey drive). She really is a very good mix though! Love her to pieces
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 8:05pm PST 
English Bulldog -
Worst trait - purebred English Bulldogs are health compromised. The AKC should remove these dogs from their recognized breeds until its health has been drastically genetically improved. Olde English Bulldogs have a lot better health and the AKC doesn't recognize it.

Best trait - They have amazing personalities. They're very "human like" in their attitude and raising one is like raising a kid. They go through the rambunctious stage, the teen-age annoying stage, and the middle-age lay on the couch and watch TV stage. They look at you with that air of understanding about them.

Worst and Best trait depending on how you look at it - independence. They are highly intelligent dogs but has an independent streak, therefore, they won't just do what you tell him to do. They analyze everything you ask them to do for what benefit it gives them. So, these dogs learn commands pretty quick but getting them to choose to follow the command can be tricky. It requires a little bit of a different kind of training. This is worst if you're training a service dog. It is best if you're a strong alpha and appreciates intelligent dogs.

Edited by author Mon Feb 25, '13 8:09pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6