GO!

Thoughts about Michael Ellis?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 12:02pm PST 
I have only watched a few of his videos, but I have been impressed with Michael Ellis as a trainer.

I am interested in hearing the opinions of various Dogsters.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 12:11pm PST 
He's actually my favorite trainer so far way to go Love his DVDs.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 5:05pm PST 
I also really like him. He seems to have a really balanced approach to training and seeing him work with his own dogs is a wonderful thing to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpjCAJ7wghY

Look at how happy and motivated that dog is!
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 7:46pm PST 
Love Michael Ellis. Love his balanced approach and his commonsense approach to bitework. His video on leerberg explaining why only dogs of correct nerves and temperament should be trained and the pitfalls of teaching the wrong dog to attack rather than retreat was excellent. I also love love LOVE how enthusiastic and happy his dogs are when he's working them. I think he's a fantastic trainer and I do my best to emulate his approach.
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 9:44pm PST 
I agree, I loved that same video that JT was talking about. It was a bit of an "A-HA!" moment for me. All about happy dogs and building drive. His dogs are loving the work, the performance and levels he's able to achieve speak for themselves. Apparently he breeds too, with another lady who I think was his apprentice. I discovered it when Cain posted a link to Loups Du Soleil- didn't realize it until I went surfing about there!
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:13pm PST 
Here are some of his videos: The Michael Ellis School for Dog Trainers

Others can be found on the Leerburg site, and he has a lot of DVDs.

I really like his obedience work. Love the way the dogs look and the precision.

I found this really interesting:

"OBEDIENCE INTENSIVE:
An introduction to Michael’s training system in theory and practice.

This course is a great stepping off point for anyone interested in our school, and is a prerequisite for many of our other courses. It details all the fundamentals of our approach to obedience and the dog/handler relationship, and helps the trainer build the “toolbox” he/she will use throughout the training process. This course thoroughly covers classical and operant conditioning, our reward based teaching systems, the use of verbal markers for communication, as well as building behavior through luring, spatial pressure, “leash pressure,” and shaping. We discuss the thoughtful introduction of aversives, and the creation of motivation in your dog through productive play. There will be both a lecture/theory portion, covering the science of the training, and a practical portion, that puts the theory into play. There are no prerequisites for this class. Students must bring a dog for the practical phase."

I think I have an idea by what he means by spatial pressure, but I really don't know much about it.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 1:46pm PST 
Does anyone have any Michael Ellis DVDs? I'm always tempted to buy some, especially the motivation and heeling DVDs, but the cost has always stopped me.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 7:15pm PST 
I have several of his DVDs and I especially liked the Advanced Concepts in Motivation one. It really made me think about the way I interact with my dog when I train him.

I also have Training the Jumps, Training the Retrieve and the Power of Playing Tug with Your Dog. I got them secondhand though, as the cost is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 8:01pm PST 
Thanks, Noah! I also think the price is a bit high for a DVD. I guess they are long, but still... Even the video on demand is not any less expensive. I mean, I can take a whole 6 week training class with a real person for that amount. But then again, he is well known for a reason.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 10:42pm PST 
I like Michael Ellis a great deal, although we come from the same school....all learning quads, with lots of PR and motivational techniques....so he's not an "aha" for me, just a master who is fun to watch. And is a GREAT teacher, which less face it, not a lot of these guys are silenced He really seems to have a gift with inspiring people, and clearly loves doing it. I do admit to being more of a Balabanov person, just because he's this interesting fork in the road and incredibly innovative. I also love his background with shelter dogs, and now someone who could polish on a carton of dust when it comes to competition dogs.

I do find the whole DVD concept a very welcome one. Not all training is particularly print friendly.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2