GO!

Teaching to pull ahead only with harness on.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 1:07am PST 
I taught Alva to pull in husky harness. I started by walking her harness on and then I attached a line with a weigh in its end (water bottles in a bag) to the harness and walked her on grass. So she got used to the feeling. It is very important to start with a weigh that stops as the dog stops - something you can control or that doesn't slide on the ground.

Next I told her to stay and put some treats into a box. This box was some meters away. Then I encouraged Alva to go and eat the treats, I also used the command to pull. At first I walked beside her, but then I left behind her. I wanted her to learn that it is ok that I'm behind her. Then I faded the box. In the beginning she only ran a short distance and started then looking for her rewards but she soon learned to run without stops when I just told her to continue.

I also practiced stop and direction commands on walks.

Alva has always walked fine on leash and she has not confused THE Harness with any leash walk device. Though the beginning of the training was a bit confusing for her because she did not understand that it was now allowed to pull and press against the harness. But she is an easy-to-train dog and soon caught it.

We had to quit pulling for health issues.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 4:51am PST 
Lot's of Scooters here: http://www.dogscooter.com/products/scooters-article

The rest of what I'm finding seems to be in the UK frown
[notify]
Marley

Blame the deed,- NOT the Breed

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 2:56pm PST 
They do have some interesting gear. I thought scooters are suppose to be cheaper than bikes.lol.I guess I will stick with diggler. My only problem is to choosing between the scooter for short people/kids or choosing the one for taller people/adults. I am on the shorter end of the stick
[notify]

Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 2:57pm PST 
I know lots of places in the UK that make good scooters but I'm guessing that doesn't help you much?

Good luck though puppy

Let us know how you get on? How's the harness training going?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2