GO!

Teaching to pull ahead only with harness on.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Marley

Blame the deed,- NOT the Breed

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 12:41pm PST 
Marley likes to go for bike rides and jogging with me everyday. She heels very nicely when I pick up speed hence why we jog and bike more than walking. The thing is I am saving up for those dog scooters and would like her to pull for fun and my off days. I am worried that she would start pulling ahead regardless if we are scootering or biking with or without a harness on. I know I should give her more credit when it is ok to pull. The only time I would allow her to pull ahead if she has a harness on. I like to know that she will faithfully follow/heel besides me regardless if I'm riding or jogging without her harness. A harness I will allow her to pull me on a scooter. Is this possible? Will this affect her from our normal walks/jogs/bike rides without the harness? I'm asking because dogster like always helps me. I'm just worried but scootering/mushing seems like a fun thing to do with Marley.
[notify]
Marley

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 5:02pm PST 
bump
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 5:13pm PST 
As long as your dog already has a loose leash walk on a collar, using a harness just for pulling shouldn't affect regular leash walking. I have cani-cross gear and Bosley easily switches back and forth between knowing its okay to pull in harness and that it's not okay to pull when I switch back to is collar. He does have lots of drafting experience so he does respond to a pull command as well as directionals, pace changes and halts when he is in harness. I would suggest, at the minimum, training a solid halt command before asking to pull in harness. Left, right and slow are also important when you want your dog to be in the lead. I train all before the harness goes on.
[notify]

Marley

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 5:24pm PST 
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. I have been concerned about this for awhile. Should I have her drag some weights before I hook her up on the scooter or should I just allow her start pulling me on the scooter? She is used to the bike being besides her. Sorry for all these questions I just dont want hurt her or scared in any way.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 6:00am PST 
As Bosely said, if Marley walks fine on leash, it should be a relatively easy understanding to pull only when the harness is on.
Cobain picked that concept up quite quickly.

When I first started out, I found this website to be quite informative: http://www.pulldoggies.com/101.htm

Best of luck smile
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 11:23am PST 
I'm not sure that having the leash on a collar when you're biking next to a dog is the safest thing for their neck because that can be a lot of force on their neck if something happens, or just constant force if nothing happens. It'd be a heck of a lot safer if you did this with a harness. Which brings me to the next part, if she knows how to loose leash walk on a collar, then it's also likely that she'll loose leash walk on a harness as well. Why don't you just put pulling on cue with a shut off cue? That's what I do with the dogs I train. They all get walked on harnesses regardless.
[notify]
Marley

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 2:07pm PST 
@Cobain - I checked the site, it was very informative. Desensitizing a dog with a jug half filled with pebbles is very clever. Thank you smile

@ Guest - Thank you for the advice but dont think of me being rude, I appreciate your concern. I'd prefer to use a collar since it is easier to get control of her and I go at her trotting speed, any slower she'll pull. Normally if we go on a dog/bike friendly trail she is off the leash and I go just a little faster so she would have to focus on keeping up with me. No excuse for her to wander or meet anybody. She's very strong and a harness would pull me off the bike. I am very aware of my surroundings, we will stop if i see any hazards or risks to prevent injuries to us. The pull and halt command can work well but I worry that it would be confusing to her, since I would like the harness be more as a leeway that she can pull all she wants.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 2:34pm PST 
I worked with sled dogs for a couple of years and although the majority of them were purely sled dogs, some of the pointer cross dogs were also pets and used to be taken for walks as well as out mushing...

After a while, Marley will naturally start to differentiate between the harness and a leash... The pointers always knew puppy If I walked to their kennel with a leash, they would always look rather disappointed, knowing that they would have to behave and walk nicely but if I approached with the harnesses, it was game on and I've never seen dogs look so excited!

As for building up his strength to pull, I would start small... Maybe pulling the scooter with you running beside it instead of standing on it. If you can run alongside the scooter, you can encourage Marley to run faster without the sudden weight of a human to pull. Build him up slowly. After a while jump in the scooter for 10/20 meters and then jump off... This is how we trained the younger dogs to pull... It's all about building up his muscles. Pulling in harness uses muscles in his chest and shoulders that he probably hasn't used too much before.

Scooters are brilliant fun for you and Marley and no doubt Marley will have a ball pulling you, but start small. Build his pulling strength up gradually and always encourage him to pull in harness... You could even try jogging with him in harness, encouraging him to pull at the start and build up to a scooter...

Using the cue 'hike' is what we used... Teach Marley that 'hike' means pull and you're on the right track. That way, when you're walking him on leash and you don't use 'hike', he'll know that it's not time to pull puppy

Good Luck!!!
[notify]
Marley

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 3:55pm PST 
@angels. - thank you for the advice I'll be definitely be using those tips. i know the feeling when dogs get disappointed when they don't get to run. Marley has her special bandanna when we go for our jogs. A red one with the white Spca logo on it. We moved into a new neighborhood where there are more outdoorsy people and the majority of people seems to be more accepting of a black pittie mix with her bandana on than without. It's pretty much a tease to her if I had her bandana in my hands regardless if we are going out or not lol
[notify]
Marley

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 7:00pm PST 
Bump** I don't like making a new forum regarding a similiar topic so I will hijack this old one I made here. Sorry guys. I have been saving up for the dog scooter for the past 2 months. My question is: Does anybody know any sites that sells the scooter besides Diggler.com out of curiosity?? I want to find the sturdiest and possibly go cheap as possible for the scooter.lol Maybe a package deal for harness and tugging equipments etc? This is an investment I'm interested in.It would be nice to have something that will last for years, with some elbow grease of course haha.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2