GO!

shy dog is now obnoxious attention seeker

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Mason

the way to my- heart is through- my belly

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 10:32am PST 
I've had Mason since he was 4 months old and for the first few years of his life, he was extremely shy around new people. He would hide, run away, bark, anything to get away or avoid a stranger. He would be absolutely terrified. Fast forward to today, he is now 7 years old and has warmed up to people, making more friends faster and easier. Treats and positive experiences have helped him overcome his fears. The problem is now he wants their full undivided attention. When I have guests over he will be overly excited, jumping on them, whining non stop, sniffing their crotches, incessantly licking their faces. Every annoying, impolite behavior you can expect. The whining is the most challenging behavior for me to stop. We've gone from extremely terrified to overly excited around friends. How do I reach a middle ground with him? All suggestions are welcome!!
[notify]
Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 12:27pm PST 
Are you aware of the Nothing In Life Is Free method? When you teach them they need to sit and/or do something else before they get ANYTHING they want, be it attention, food, going out, whatever. You have to stick with it forever, but once they learn, if you ignore them, they usually sit (because you will then give them lots of love and attention, consistently!).
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 11:48pm PST 
It's great that he's doing better! I agree that he should only get attention when he shows a behavior you like, such as sitting and greeting people calmly. If you don't feel comfortable asking your guests to enforce the rules, he should be in another room when they come in. Keep in mind the golden rule: he gets what he wants when you get what you want. Resist the urge to reward whiny or demanding behavior with food, treats, or attention.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 11:52pm PST 
Good point, Mr. Blue. Mason should know his limits and you should help him in doing so. Maybe because he was used to being told to mingle with people and not to be shy which is why he has gone over to the opposite side of shy. I don't blame you though. Like what Mr. Blue said, try ignoring him if he still continues on the bad behavior. Eventually, he'll figure out that he will only be getting attention if he's been 'a good boy'.
[notify]
Mason

the way to my- heart is through- my belly

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 1:42pm PST 
great advice everyone, thank you. I think now that he is not afraid of people anymore, we can start focusing on manners. I will look into the 'nothing is free' method and begin from there. I think I sort of slacked on training him since he was doing so well around people but obviously we still need to work on a few things. thanks againway to go
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:47pm PST 
You're very much welcome. We wish you all the best with Mason. wishes
[notify]