GO!

Places to train around children

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Link

Hero of Hyrule

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 7:44pm PST 
I recently started working my previously at home service dog, Link, in public again. I had retired him from public access work over a year ago due to maturity issues, but he has proven that he is ready and willing to start working again. I have been taking him on short trips to stores now, and he hasn't had any major issues. Really the only thing that came up besides just awkwardness of learning to work in public together, is that he can still be excitable and distracted around kids. Usually he does fine, and maybe will just wag his tail or sniff in their direction. As we were finishing up a Wal-mart run there was an unsupervised kid walking up and down the end of the check out aisles while bouncing one of those big rubber balls. Link's favorite toy is anything spherical shaped, and he noticed the noise of the ball bouncing right away. He didn't whine or pull, in fact he stayed in his sit while I paid for my items, but he was staring and noticeably distracted. This is still a huge improvement from when I first retired him from PA, but I'd obviously like to work with him on it still. I'm hoping to be able to take him to my family reunion this year at Yellowstone, and there are usually at least 20+ kids. I don't have any kids, or friends with kids in the area, and with the weather being usually cold here (it commonly snows in May-June) I need a consistent place to be able to work with him around children while unvested that isn't a park. I'm in a fairly small town so there aren't any toy stores, and I currently don't have access to a car.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 5:58am PST 
I know you asked for places, not resources, but it sounds like you could troubleshoot your issue with the exercises contained in the book Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt. The Look At That game will be very helpful, as well as keeping in mind threshold distances.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 10:27am PST 
If it's a small town maybe you could talk to the school board or local principals about what you want to do. Some schools might be open to a visiting doggie during recess or in an afterschool programpuppy
[notify]

Kloppers

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 10:48am PST 
What about a trainer that does CGC or therapy dog tests? My children attend every CGC and therapy dog test my old mentor trainer has. My kids are not perfect but they do know how to act around dogs. So my 5 yr old plays the part of approaching and asking if it is okay to pet the dog while my 20 month old just walks with her. They also play a part in the distractions.

I also like the school idea or maybe a mom group that would be willing to assist you?
[notify]
Link

Hero of Hyrule

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 5:15pm PST 
I really like the school idea.

Cohen, thanks or the suggestion, I have the CU book and the seminar DVD set. I also use methods from Fired up frantic and freaked out, as well as Behavior Adjustment Training.
[notify]