GO!

Can't exercise this dog!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Stephen King

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 4:15am PST 
Hi all,

Just over a year ago I was posting about my DA/HA Shepherd from the shelter, Thas. Sadly, she passed away back in March, 2012, after an accident.

Just after Christmas, I and my fiancée rescued an older boy from the shelter. He'd been there for two years. His first home was with one younger man. He had to be rehomed after the guy had an accident and wasn't able to do much at all with the dog, who's name when we got him was "Stephen, as in, Stephen King".

We never changed his name, despite the fact both me and Gary hate people names for dogs. Stephen looks like a Stephen. laugh out loud I have to admit, I'm starting to wish we'd renamed him Shadow.

He was rescued by another family shortly after being dropped at the shelter, but returned soon because he'd snapped at their kid. We have no kids, no other dogs and no cats. Ste is a Brittany Spaniel/Whippet mix, and is 7 years old.

We've found one issue with this guy.

He stays right by your side whether he's on lead or off lead. He doesn't chase other dogs, cats, people, cars, squirrels, rabbits or birds, toys, balls, squeakers or sticks. He is literally RIGHT there. While it IS a good thing, it means he doesn't get a lot of exercise.

We've started going to opposite sides of the park and calling him back and forth, but he doesn't actually run to either of us. He'll walk or trot, depending what mood he's in. Both the breeds he's mixed with are high-energy dogs, so why he doesn't feel the need to run, ever, is really confusing.

We're working on fetch with him. He'll bring us the ball when we throw it across the room, now.

Is the exercise really something to worry about with him? He won't go and play with other dogs, but he's happy to greet them and then walk with us. He was listed as "high energy" at the shelter, but I don't know what that was based on.

He's had a full health check at the vets. Aside from earmites when we first got him, he had nothing physically wrong. He doesn't have earmites anymore. He's intact.

He loves to play, so we generally play tug with him on walks and in the house. He won't chase the tug, though, and if we throw it, he just walks to it and nudges it with his nose until someone picks it up and starts playing.

It seems really weird that this "high energy" dog has no energy to run off! laugh out loud
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 4:28am PST 
wavewave

If Stephen isn't acting out in the home (being rambunctious, destructive, etc.) I don't think I'd worry about it too much. Have you tried jogging or bicycling with him?

You say you got him just after Christmas, so that's just over a month? He may still be just getting used to the idea that you're his new family. Sticking close because he wants to make sure you're still with him? There's a possibility he may gain more confidence over time and leave your side a bit.
[notify]
Samantha

Networkdogsupply- (dot)com

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 4:42am PST 
One of the simple exercise with him is jogging every morning. In that way he will get used to know you. You can walk with him in the park or the place you where go. Simpe exercise with your dog can be done in a simple way.
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 6:06am PST 
Like everyone says, either running or even just walking at a fast clip would be good exercise for both of you but as long as he doesn't get overweight or rip up the house it might just be the way he is. A friend has a ridgeback who hardly runs at all and that's supposed to be a high energy breed toopuppy
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 8:05am PST 
Like another poster said, you've only had him a short time. Maybe he's depressed. He's been passed around a few times and spent a lot of time at the shelter, so maybe he hasn't settled in yet. Some dogs take a while to feel like part of the family. I would keep doing what your doing and you might be surprised that one day, a switch will flip and he will start acting like a dog once he figures out he's there to stay. Good for you for taking a chance on him and good luck!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 9:40am PST 
If he was in a shelter for two years, he probably wasn't getting a ton of exercise, so he may just be used to a more sedentary lifestyle. He'll probably get into better shape as you keep exercising him, and his energy levels might go up. And he is seven, so he may have mellowed out from his high energy days when the shelter got him two years ago.

I'd keep doing what you're doing, and as he adjusts both to you and to increased exercise, he'll likely get a little more perky.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 10:23am PST 
As others have said, he was in a shelter, probably not used to much exercise. He is also middle-aged. Although he belongs to two high-energy breeds, you haven't had him that long.

When I got my Toller/Golden mix (2-3 years old) from a shelter, all he would do was trot around the backyard or walk. No running at all. It took him a little time before he would run in the park, probably 4 months. Don't worry too much. smile
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 4:51pm PST 
Also, some dogs just like to observe more than interact. So, his legs may not be getting a big workout, but his mind may be getting just want he wants. People tend to look down on walks as simple, but many dogs love just walking around as it does the mind good.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 1:39pm PST 
In the meantime, count your blessings and enjoy the rest laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]