GO!

A Troubled Pup? Long...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 7:10pm PST 
Do you think she's feeling okay health-wise? When my dogs separate themselves or hide a lot they are usually not feeling well. frown
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 2:50pm PST 
Well,thanks Sarah. I had given up on getting any sort of response...I don't know if my questions sound too silly or attention seeking. Anyway, I really don't think she is ill. She eats well and when "up" plays and runs happily.

I am thinking I am going to try a little one on one working with her. I am not going to force her into uncomfortable situations, but take her out on her own a bit more and work on social skills. I think it might help her deal with everyday stresses and build her confidence a little.

She had just had a routine yearly, and all was well, but if she continues slumping, I will try a vet visit to rule out illness.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 3:59pm PST 
So... my thoughts are... It is very hard to have two female dogs that are same size and age. I know I really stopped fostering females when my female turned around 2- it was too stressful for her.

I think it is a GOOD thing that Dubs is finding a way to remove herself from the situations. If I were in your shoes, I guess what I would be doing is just doing my best to keep things from getting too hectic or from escalating to the point where she feels threatened.

I know, not really any concrete ideas but just what I'm thinking aloud..
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 9:44am PST 
Yes, well. That is a mistake I won't make again. I already had one female and Dubs (when introduced) had no trouble at all with her, but there are substantial age and size differences there. Two little girls getting into a staredown just doesn't work.

But we have worked it out to a large degree. So, I think I will now work on building Dub's confidence so she doesn't seem so cowed. Today a small disagreement over a scrap of cornbread took place but I spoke to them sharply and both listened well and did not sulk after, so maybe some progress already. Only thing to do is to keep working with them.
[notify]

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 8:20pm PST 
I hope things get better. I would make sure Dubs has some "alone" time too with you or with the other dogs minus the "big meanie". wink

I know I had Lizzie first-55lbs, 7 years old, and then I had Sarah, less than a year, 25lbs, I've never had any issues with the two of them. I fostered females around her age and size with no problems for about a year, and then things just went sour. She didn't want the new females anywhere near her. Eventually she would accept them, but then if they got adopted and she saw them again, she would go on full-out attack mode. No one ever got hurt but it was pretty tense. I do have one female foster right now that came to me this summer, I knew I was taking a risk with her, but this foster is sooooooo calm and laid back- they get along just fine. (thank goodness!)

Good luck with your two!
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 7:35am PST 
It is funny, because in many ways they are friends. I liken it to having teenage female twins. They love/hate/can't live with or without each other.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:08am PST 
A few things here.

One is that you don't need to tolerate the Cocker's behavior. You can interrupt it and simply let her know she needs to quit. Do you do anything when the stare downs are going on, or just spectate? Curious to know.

Two, you can build tolerance and security by treating them close together and expecting proper behavior.

Three, you can build Dubs confidence through training. Simply working on obedience or agility type things with lots of praise, enthusiasm, rewards not only makes a dog feel good, but affirms both the bond and you as her guardian.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 12:26pm PST 
Oh, yes. When the stare down begins I interrupt it. And I have been watching the Cocker more closely as she has become more of the perp. than the victim.

And I do have them sit near each other while I give each of them attention.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2