GO!

What to ask a potential trainer and how to verify if what they say is correct

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 10:22pm PST 
Ah, well, in that case, I wish you all the luck. Do come back and update us with whatever it is your trainer has said. wink
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 10:21pm PST 
I'm not exactly thrilled with what I've learned about the trainer. I called the facility to see if I could take a peak and sit in on a class. Apparently she only does group classes on Saturday. Whatever, if she wants to do mostly privates whatever I guess -- it wasn't my main concern.

The guy I spoke with said I should come in for the trainer to do an evaluation. He kind of confused me a bit and I asked if he meant I wasn't supposed to sit in on my dog's own lesson. He said "I have the choice. But it's preferable and most people tend to just drop their dog off."

This really concerns me and I can't figure out why she wouldn't want the owner to watch. What is she doing with the dogs when people aren't looking? I think we'll steer clear. Though I am curious to just show up with Chaplin and get one more feel; ask the woman what on Earth she prefers privates without the owners for.

On her site she says training isn't one size fits all. While I agree it makes me wonder if she's put e-collars on the dogs without telling the owners.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 11:44pm PST 
I wouldn't know why she prefers private classes with the dogs but they don't exactly restrict it. Maybe you should give it a shot, you know, just once and then you be the judge. If during the class you don't feel convinced that that is how she actually works with the dogs, then go look for another one. smile
[notify]

Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:48am PST 
I think that's what I'll do =)
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 6:02pm PST 
So the trainer has people drop off their dogs for private sessions and the owners leave??

That makes absolutely no sense to me. The whole point to training classes is to teach the owners how to train their dogs....
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 10:47pm PST 
Apparently some trainers don't involve the pet parents. It makes no sense, true, but it still exists in some dog training businesses.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 11:32am PST 
I would go very far away from someone who wanted to train my dog without me present. That rings all kinds of alarm bells.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 4:48pm PST 
Those were my thoughts but I still want to drop by just to see what's up, how she interacts with my dog during the short "evaluation" and why she prefers owners dropping their dogs off for privates.

Simply out of curiosity.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2