GO!

Pup not eating?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
'Barcoola'- Rogue

Door? What door?

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 3:22am PST 
I wasn't sure where to put this, but figured here would do. Rogue's been on Optimum puppy since I got him (best I could find in my town) but he doesn't seem to be all that keen on it. I swear I've heard somewhere that a better quality dog food will last because they don't need to eat as much to get the nutrition - only problem is, he's 'supposed' to be eating 3 cups a day apparently for his age/ adult weight etc but he's barely eating 1 cup and I don't even know if he's eating that.

The only time he'll look at the tinned food is when Shep or Indy goes near him and he barges in and starts scoffing it down. The dry food gets eaten by Shep/ Indy before Rogue gets any. Before I moved home and he was by himself he looked healthy enough although the vet said he was on the lowest end of normal weight and she'd like to see a bit more weight on him when he came in next (this thursday).

Added to that; he started eating Shep and Indys food (not quite so good as the optimum) and he's suddenly vomiting and has really runny stools. I'm hoping to travel to the nearest big town tomorrow and see if I can find something else he might eat, although I'm not entirely sure about what to do with Indy and Shep. They don't need to be eating his puppy food and I'd rather he didn't have to eat so much of their food.

Now I'm rambling a bit, I never thought it would get so complicated bringing a third dog into the mix confused
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 5:54am PST 
As good as the food you are giving him might be in quality,it does him no good if he won't eat it,so looking for another option is probably a good idea.
the diarrhea and vomiting would also be a major concern,especially on an already low weight puppy. You might want to if at all possible try some smaller or sample bagsof several foods to see which ones he seems to like while adding something like sodium free broth to what he is already eating to make it more appealing. Perhaps someone here will have a better idea that will be of more help,or your vet can suggest something although some of the foods they sell are not always of the best quality either.wishes and please keep us updated.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 4:35pm PST 
Optimum actually isn't a very good food. It annoys me that Chris Brown puts his name on it and recommends it because ingredient wise it's no better than Purina.I guess it proves vets know nothing about nutrition!

The only supermarket brands I'll feed are VIP natures goodness kibble, it's grain free and really palatable, nature's gift canned (ingredients are pretty good for the price, a lot of veggies in it but okay), four legs meatballs (in the cold case) and at IGA you can get a roll called protadog. That's the best roll I've found.

If you can get to a pet store or petstock see if you can get black eagle, it's really good quality stuff with lamb meal. But optimum is full of corn and by products and just isn't worth the money when you could get a big bag of VIP from woolys at the same price.

Hope that helps. Your koolie is beautiful.
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 5:07pm PST 
Do they have access to food all day? I would have set times to feed and watch them while they eat so they don't get into each others food bowls. I agree that changing the food might help. Koby doesn't like his, so i give him just a small spoon of something tasty and mix it around. He eats every morsel now. Good Luck!
[notify]
'Barcoola'- Rogue

Door? What door?

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 3:16am PST 
Optimum was the only one I could find that had meat as a first ingredient, everything else was corn and grain. I bought a bag of Advance today which I'm going to try him on - even Petstock didn't seem to have much in the way of foods :/ I've never actually even heard of half the foods people post on here and wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for them, the only ones I know I can get would be the protapet dog rolls and the natures gift tinned food; I tried him on one can but he only ate a few mouthfuls then wandered off.

The vet reccommended that I contain him away from Shep and Indys food overnight then feed him in the morning. At least even if he only gets one meal of his food a day it'll be better than nothing.

On the other hand, he had his first puppy preschool class tonight and he was very well behaved until the 5th pup came in, then all hell seemed to break loose lol I think he started getting a bit hyped up after half an hour and lost focus more than he usually does. At least he sat and laid down when I asked him too xD
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 5:25am PST 
I tend not to reccomend specific foods because like in your case,many of the ones that people have mentioned here are simply not available in my area.
For example I honestly knew nothing about the quality of the brand you mentioned because I had never heard of it,but felt it was likely someone else had. Prices as far as what is affordable in any given area vary widely as well. My typical advice is to find a good quality food,that your dog likes,does well on,is easily available,and fits your budget. Even if what your puppy is currently on is not the best quality given his tummy troubles already a sudden change is generally only going to make things worse which was why I suggested if possible trying some very small bags or samples mixed with his current food and a tasty topper or additive. Allowing him to have his food away from your other dogs is also an excellent idea and may be helpful,certainly something to try. Most adult dogs do not need puppy food but as long as they are not getting sick from it,it really shouldn't do too much harm in the long run,except for possibly adding some excess weight they don't need which can be unhealthy. Good Luck in finding what works best for your pup it is not always easy and can take quite a bit of effort at times.Please keep us posted.wishes
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 5:30am PST 
Forgot to mention you might want to post this in the Food & Nutrition Forum as well and see what type of answers you get there. It might also help to mention you are not in the U.S. and do not have many of the brands you have seen mentioned in other posts available to you. Good Luck!!!wishes
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 5:42am PST 
Yah, a lot of the fab foods mentioned here either aren't available in Australia and the few that are are very expensive!

I know you can get eaglepack holistic at petstock and Artemis online and maybe Orijen too, not sure, it killed some cats because of the irradiating we do for import so we might no longer ship it from NZ. Have a look around online dog shops, you might find something awesome.

Advance is pretty good, much better than optimum. Good find, hope he likes it.

Puppy classes usually do break into bedlam lol, lots of people end up taking them twice ... first go socialization, second basic training.

Good luck with getting the little guy eating. Maybe add some beef or roo mince or something, that should get him going hopefully.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 5:58am PST 
wavewave J.T. even here a lot of the brands some posters have mentioned as being the best aren't available and I AM IN THE U.S. Acana for example has been mentioned all over Dogster for it's quality and price. What isn't mentioned is it is available in the West Coast region of the U.S. not nationally. I live nearer the East Coast and absolutely could not find it. There are several others mentioned as well,but the outlets that sell them are not in my area,therefore they are not readily available.They may be excellent quality and affordable but if you can't get them when you need them,it really doesn't help. Thanks for your help with what is or may be more available for Rogue.smilehug
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 6:11am PST 
How annoying M&K! Acana sounds really great too, a lot of my friends feed it, I'm a bit jealous lol. I usually don't recommend specific brands either unless the poster is an Aussie because a lot of our foods are available country wide.... handy lol.

We don't have a good selection really here in Australia at all, that's why I went raw lol ... at least we have great butchers.

No worries about helping Rogue, I've run this gamut before and it can be a pain!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3