GO!

A Big High Paw to the Rat People, Thank You!!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 3:55pm PST 
I wrote a while ago asking how to catch our youngest rat for cage-changing. I was putting off cleaning the cage for the longest time out of fear. The first time we tried it with her she gave a scream and raced over my sons shoulder landing on the floor. She didn't get hurt falling but the fear what could have happened if he didn't grab her off the floor...in our house she would either get lost until she started to smell and/or become a dog toyshock

The second time I tried she made like a flying squirrel and I trapped her in a plastic lid...once again she was sooo close to getting loose. But I gathered everyone's ideas and got a rodent box from Petco. She went in easy after the dog treats inside. Then we just snapped the lid down until I got the cage shiny bright.

Open the lid, dump her back in, put the other rats back in and mission accomplished whooohoooohappy dancehappy dancehappy dance
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 6:40pm PST 
I used a piece of plastic tube to catch my sister's guinea pigs. They didn't like being picked up so I think it was less stressful for them. I placed the tube near the animal and it usually looked for shelter there when I touched its hindquarters. I closed the tube with my hands and was able to move the animal where ever I had to. Then I just removed the hand on the side of its head and tilted the tube so the guinea pig walked out.
[notify]
Colt

A cute little- devil.

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 6:51pm PST 
Hmm, that's a good idea... why didn't I know this before? thinking

I have Guinea Pigs. They're really nice and friendly but I think it's uncomfortable for them to be picked up, because they hate it. Cleaning the cage is easy, though, because I have two Midwest guinea habitats put together. I just shoo them into the other side and close the door while I clean the dirty side. It's a very nice setup.
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 7:06pm PST 
That would have been a great idea for my last rat Diesel, he was a bitter! laugh out loud
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 7:49pm PST 
It's funny that the other ones are way friendly, you can pet them, kiss them and they just hang out as long as you pet them. But the youngest...maybe the pet shop had a rat catching quota and caught her in a gutter somewhere I dunno...but she goes nuts if a human hand is anywhere near her...fine with the other ratz though, just glad the other three are friendly. We had the rat before them for several years and finally had to have her put to sleep, I cried over that rat...really it's like bullys, some of them are just misunderstood
[notify]