GO!

What would you do?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 10:03pm PST 
I offer training advice to lots of people, heck I teach basic obedience to all our dogs and their people. I DO NOT ever claim to be a trainer, I never have. I am a well trained and observant HANDLER. I tell people to seek professional help. Imagine how distasteful it would be to send someone in the direction of a professional and then be told that said professional is a fake. A decided smear on MY reputation.
I believe that whether on line or in person I have a moral obligation to tell the truth, to represent myself as no more or less then what I am. I expect that those I deal with will do the same. I can fix my car, I am not a mechanic. I can install faucets, I am not a plumber. I can probably train your dog, but I am not a trainer.
I believe that those who misrepresent themselves for personal gain, those who defraud clients, ought to be seen as criminals.
Butshrug just my humble opinion.

ETA: M&K we are good. Mori is in her new home. Shadow is diligently working on learning new things, Sabi is a goofball, and Buds just hanging out. hughug to you and the kids.

Edited by author Sun Feb 3, '13 10:08pm PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 10:46pm PST 
I would fully expect that a trainer be able to prove their credentials, have proof of testimonials(as in not just on their website, but references who you can meet or even talk to), and that if there is something they lack experience on, that they be HONEST about that and redirect people elsewhere if there's something they cannot help them with.

That said, I'm my family and friend's go-to person for canine health and training. They all rely on me for that information because I've done the most research, have had the most success and have the most invested in my dogs. They often refer to me as a 'trainer', or a 'whisperer', but I am NEITHER of those things. I'm just good with dogs and understand them well and know what works with what/who. And I make that clear too. I also refer people to actual trainers/behaviorists where needed.

If one were found to be fake, I would want that made clear. I would want it made known to the general public and I would want them to be confronted about it, and reported if possible. We have enough people having troubles AFFORDING good trainers/behaviorists, nevermind throwing away money to the fakers.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2