GO!

What would you do?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 9:32pm PST 
So in todays world of computers where anyone can invent themselves it becomes really important to represent yourself honestly. To some extent on this site we hide behind our dogs which is great for safely socializing and lets face it I'm here because my friends and family and casual aquaintances and the guy at the gas station are sick of hearing about dogs. laugh out loud
Anyway my point is that anyone can go to any site, build a profile, throw in some bogus credentials and Presto! Open for business.
I have looked at tons of trainers but now I wonder. What should a person do if they are working with a trainer, or have used a trainer and find out that those credentials are fake?
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 1:17am PST 
Report them ... run em through the wringer! If there's one thing I hate it's dishonesty. Misrepresentation is not cool. I'm upfront with everyone here, I expect the same. We all hide behind our personas to an extent for safety but a lie like that is unacceptable imo.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 7:19am PST 
I agree with JT - they should be reported to whatever governing body they rep their credentials from.
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 9:06am PST 
I think I would report them also. I train my own dogs, but if I need help I would want someone who was an expert. I would be looking at their credentials, thinking they would have a certain level of professionalism, & I would pay top dollar for that. I would be extremely angry if some "Joe Blow" just added reputable letters after their name, but had no formal education...and did not even belong to the organization.
[notify]
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 10:48am PST 
thinking If I am considering hiring ANY professional, especially when it comes to my dog, I would be checking the governing boards that they claim to be a part of. I would go through their certified instructors list, and if I do not see their name on it, I would be emailing the board to see if it was an omission, to be safe. Taking a trainer's course is much different than completing it!

For example: If the person states they went to college for Behavioral Science, promotes themselves as a certified trainer; I would expect to see them on the CPDT, CDBC, IAABC, and/or APDT listings. If not, they aren't properly certified and bring discredit to those associations. At that point, definitely report them and see what comes out in the wash.

We declare ourselves as pet owners who train our dogs. Most of us expect nothing but the very best (and legitimate) when we contract someone to work with our beloved pets. Reading books is grand, but I expect the credentials presented to be REAL.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 11:54am PST 
I am wondering... who exactly do you report that to in Canada?thinking
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 12:50pm PST 
You're so right, Sabi. I write my own pet blog, but basically just to share the information of professional trainers and behaviorists, who I'm always sure to credit. I make it clear I am NOT a professional, and that people should contact an experienced behaviorist if they have a problem with their dogs. But I've seen so many people spreading false information and claiming to be professionals just because they taught their dog a few cool tricks. It's crazy.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 1:24pm PST 
Bunny, if you go to the APDT website it does tell you who their Canadian counterpart is, and the ABC(Animal Behaviour College) says they have campuses in every province.
I think in my area with the explosion of dog training facilities it has become extremely important to VERIFY credentials. And I know most governing bodies will respond immediately to inquiries. I was simply curious how you all felt, whether it was something to just shrug off or something that ought to have consequences.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 4:14pm PST 
I would pursue it, especially if there's been an "explosion" of training facilities. The average dog owner does not know what to look for, so if you can get even one unscrupulous faker from sucking someone in, I would consider it a public service.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 8:38pm PST 
I agree with the others. I have offered advice on some training but I have always been clear that I am not a professional trainer. To pretend otherwise poses a risk to anyone who takes your advice and their dog. Please report this person or persons to spare others from being sucked in by fakes. Finding a trainer can be hard enough,finding a good trainer even harder,for the money we spend to find and hire a good trainer we should at least have the benefit of knowing that the person we are paying is as qualified as they claim to be.

E.T.A. On a personal note,hoping all is well with you,and give the furkids a hug from us,I will do the same.hughughug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2