GO!

I should have asked this 8 years ago.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 12:52pm PST 
You're definitely not alone. I'm a klutz anyway, but I'm pretty sure a week doesn't go by where I don't accidentally trip over, run into, or step on an animal in some way.

If the animal seems fine, I say a quick sorry or maybe even a joking "it's your own fault" and go on about my business. If they yelp or cry out, they get an apology and a pat on the head to make sure they know I didn't mean it. If they were really hurt, they would get a lot more attention, but luckily that's never happened to me yet.

The funniest instance of this I ever saw was when my aunt was staying with us for a few months. She tripped over our chihuahua and dropped a whole bowl of cold cereal and milk on his head! He was so mad! It took him a while but he eventually forgave her. laugh out loud
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 5:32pm PST 
oh man... laugh out loud If I dropped a bowl of cereal on Ava or Nix's head, they'd probably jump at first and then upon realizing there's now food on the ground they'd dive in to lick it up. I can just imagine a Chihuahua wouldn't be too pleased about it though. lol. Poor thing
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 5:42am PST 
Has anyone besides myself and Ava and Nix person noticed how much less likely to notice their pups are, about being accidentally stepped on,tripped over or otherwise accidentally injured,when there is dropped food involved? I know in the case of Mika especially,but Kai as well,if accidentally stepped on or bumped into in the process of preparing/serving food and none has been dropped,a time-out to comfort even bruised pride is an absolute necessity.Should I however drop food,the same dog will not notice that I bumped their nose with a cabinet door,stepped on a toe,tail or whatever,and are far too focused on food to need any of my attention at all.laugh out loud
[notify]

Zoe

The- Schnauzinator

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 3:59pm PST 
Actually, my dog usually ends up apologizing to ME whenever we have accidental bodily collisions. I'll step on her foot or whatever, which makes her yelp, which startles the living crap outta me (I'm one of those people who can watch horror movies without so much as blinking, but if the toast pops out of the toaster or something, I'm like eek and go into cardiac arrest shrug), which then causes me to lose my footing and trip over her as she tries to scramble out of my way, ending in me doing a face-plant on the ground. By the time it's all over, I have a bruise the size of a baseball smack-dab on my forehead and she seems just fine. confused

Klutziness + jumpiness + dog = lots of face-plants on the ground. An equation I'm well acquainted with wink
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 6:25pm PST 
Reason number 8,632 I like bigger dogs laugh out loud Not so fragile. Cats seem much more agile getting out of the way than small dogs. But, the apology/pat the head is my response too.
[notify]
Bailey

There's nothing- in my mouth, I- swear!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 9:04am PST 
If I accidently bump or step on Bailey usually I just say a "Sorry Bailey!" and give her a pat on the head. However there has been once or twice where I accidently hit her with the tennis ball we were playing with (which, by the way was entirely her fault!) but I did feel really bad and went over and gave her a belly rub. She takes full advantage of that now though, so whenever I say sorry to her she rolls over with those sad eyes and expects to get a belly rublaugh out loud
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 10:50am PST 
Bailey laugh out loud Watch out, or she's going to start causing those accidents on purpose for free belly rubs laugh out loud
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:00am PST 
Oh, it depends on the reaction...if I have accidently stepped on or struck them hard enough to causes winces, they get a hug and apology. Dubs will start over almost nothing...like a loud noise, so she gets a little more but I am careful not to reinforce the scare. Sort of like whoops! nothing to be afraid of!
[notify]
Bailey

There's nothing- in my mouth, I- swear!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 2:15pm PST 
laugh out loud Onyx sometimes I think she does!
[notify]
Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 2:39pm PST 
Like everyone else, I apologize and offer some reassuring pats.

However, the dogs don't seem to care if they hurt ME! There was one time at work where a group of dogs that was running around the yard together slammed straight into me from behind. I went flying backwards, dislocated my knee, and then chipped my tooth when I landed face-first on the pavement. The dogs didn't even stop to look at me--they just kept right on running and playing, the lousy ingrates! laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3