GO!

I should have asked this 8 years ago.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Kyan

No, I'm not a- wolf.

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 5:07pm PST 
What is the best way to react to accidentally 'hurting' your dog? I can't be the only one that from time to time steps on a paw or knocks something over that bumps into or falls on my boy. I usually just act upbeat and give him some extra pets/praise. So far, this has been a fine way for me to deal with it but the other day he was sleeping in my office and someone walked by him and accidentally stepped on the end of his fluffy tail, tearing a small clump of fur out and he jumped up and made a growly-snap noise - he seemed more startled to me than injured but either way, I think its a good question and I always wonder if I'm doing the right thing when it comes to "apologizing" for being clumsy!
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 7:12pm PST 
You're going to get some very varied opinions on this one. because I think this one gets more towards people's individual personalities, more than anything else.

It depends on what happens. If the dog just moves out of the way and is fine, I continue going about my business. If the dog yelps, or I actually accidentally hurt them, I feel the need to apologize and give them a pat to try to give them the idea that I didn't mean it and that I'm not angry with them - perhaps from my own issues with having been raised by people who frequently smacked their dogs. I don't approve of those tactics.. so I feel the need to apologize and make sure it's known that I'm not upset.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 7:54pm PST 
It happens all of the time I think, especially with puppies who like to get under your feet when you are walking or cleaning etc...if I accidently step on one of them or bump them I just say "sorry baby" and give them a pet or a pat on the head and go on about my business.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 7:59pm PST 
I also just apologize and give quick pat/rub. He never seems to take offense, so I figure he understands it wasn't a response to something he did.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 9:10pm PST 
For minor things, I blurt out an "Oh, I'm sorry!"

The other day, I thought I darn near broke Sanka's foot from stepping on it. I had no idea he was behind me. I stopped immediately, said sorry and then massaged his foot for him.

Sanka is the kind of dog that is ALWAYS in the way and makes no attempt to move, so he is subject to a lot of abuse by way of getting stepped on.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 10:30pm PST 
When I step on her tail and she yelps or even vocalizes and snaps out of surprise, I just say I'm sorry girl and pat her--she seems to completely understand it was accidental.

I think they really do get that--she seems to be all appeasing and forgiving, like "I know it was an accident--no harm no foul."
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 1:28am PST 
I also say sorry, although JT doesn't always buy that and can be a bit leery of me afterwards.
[notify]
'Barcoola'- Rogue

Door? What door?

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 2:43am PST 
I always apologize for stepping on Rogues paw, he always seems to be underfoot though and I don't always see him. At least he jumps straight back up and tries to kiss me lol I'd hate to think he was wary of me for hurting him
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 3:51am PST 
Abner always acts really apologetic when I hurt him and tries really hard to appease me, so I snuggle him and tell him sorry.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 4:49am PST 
Same here...I apologize and give Angel a pet. That way she knows I am not mad.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3