GO!

Fixed male dog peeing in house.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Koda

Born to run -- loves to sleep

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 1:39pm PST 
My huskey, who is fixed, has been peeing on objects around the house. I have only caught him doing it once. I can see the results of he marking through stains on the floor and on the boxes that he has taken a liking to. I know we cannot keep abrogated that does this but I also know most other people will not deal with it either and he will end up in a shelter somewhere. I don't want that to happen to him. Wat can I do???
[notify]
Koda

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 1:41pm PST 
I don't know how abrogated got in there... it was suppost to say a dog.

Edited by author Thu Jan 31, '13 1:42pm PST

[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 1:46pm PST 
Remove everything, that can be removed, so he can no longer pee on them. Boxes, shoes, etc.
Thoroughly clean carpets with an enzyme cleaner and or vinegar and water and then watch him like a hawk.
Is he being taken outside every few hours to empty his bladder? When he isn't being taken outside, tether him to you so he's never out of your sight.
Is he crated when no one is home so he can't pee on anything?

Is he fully house trained?
[notify]

Koda

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 2:01pm PST 
The one time I have caught him was when he had just been let back into the house from outside after being out for over 10 minutes.

No we do not have a crate for him. We put him outside while we are not home and our 10 month old lab goes into the mud room.

I will try to get a good cleaner. Do you know of any good ones?
[notify]
Koda

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 3:12pm PST 
Okay now I need a lot more help soon. I just heard my stepdad on the phone with someone askng them if they would take Koda. Help me please before it is too late!!
[notify]
Koda

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 4:55pm PST 
Okay. I have decided that, unlike my parents, I will not give up on Koda just because he is not perfect. I am going to ask them for a month; one month to work on correcting his marking. I will treat him like we did Sassy, our puppy, back when we first got her. He will have me following him everywhere he goes in the house. If I am going to go to the bathroom, he goes out. If I go out, he goes out. I am the only person in this house who cares enough to do this.

Thank you, the one person who replied.

Edited by author Thu Jan 31, '13 4:55pm PST

[notify]
Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 5:42pm PST 
Is he fixed? If not he should be. He also needs to know who the boss is. That means using the "Nothing In Life Is Free" method (google it). You go through all doors before he does and then invite him. He is not allowed on ANY furniture unless invited. On walks he is not allowed to sniff and mark every 2 seconds.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 5:56pm PST 
Mr. Blue, this is a housebreaking issue. NOT a dominance issue. Dominance methods are old hat, and often only result in dogs becoming confused and losing trust in their people; and adding unnecessary complication and stress to both the dog's life, and the human's life.

That, and it says so right in the title of the thread that the dog is fixed. Not that that has anything to do with it, as my male is intact and has only ever peed indoors twice in his whole life (not counting when he was first starting out with potty training). shrug

Koda's owner, you sound like you're headed in the right direction. smile I would say if you're able to, getting a crate will help things go along more smoothly, but really the very best thing you can do to stop this is to make sure he doesn't get the chance to repeat the behavior, by having him under total supervision while indoors. When you catch him in the act, immediately take him outside and wait for him to finish his business out there. When he does, act like he's just won the lottery! Praise and treats and fun... oh boy~ Make going potty outside the best, most rewarding thing that has ever happened to him. It'll help the message get through quicker. smile Good for you for wanting to work with him.

Edited by author Thu Jan 31, '13 6:01pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 6:06pm PST 
Just wanted to add to Ava and Nix's great advice ... seeming this is an emergency, you might want to consider a belly band to keep him from having any accidents during the training. Just to save your dad any more upset.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 9:09am PST 
Some good cleaners are "Nature's Miracle", "SoX", "Folletts" or just a vingegar & water mixture. Ava & Nix have given you great advice.
As said, this is NOT dominance. It can be fixed. You are on the right track. Be diligent & you will get there. Remember to be consistent..habits can be hard to break.
Tethering him to you when you're in the house is a great way to know what he's up to at all times. If you need to pee, talk on the phone, etc...crate him. Do not let him out of your sight.

Edited by author Fri Feb 1, '13 9:11am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2