GO!

is he leash reactive?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 12:55pm PST 
Need some advice on this please. Mozart is one years old and 5 months old. I feel like he is extremely excited on leash especially in new areas. Example we went into Petco today and there was a lady with a bulldog puppy and she asked if Mozart was friendly I said yes and let the dogs sniff they were fine then Mozart barked and backed up a little bit. Well the lady got super freaked out and rushed to pick up her puppy and started cuddling it and saying its okay. From what I can Mozart may have been trying to play he always will bark like a play bark when wanting to play. From what I can remember it did not seem like an aggressive bark. Mozart is very very excited on leash and just wants to meet everybody he can get over excited and bark and lunge on the leash. We are trying to work very hard on it and maybe even take a training class. Mozart seems to be good with 95% of dogs he has sniffed and been polite with dogs that weigh over #100 pounds and he is only #10 pounds. Should I consider taking a reactive dog class or maybe just a basic training class with dogs? He has never been to a class learning with other dogs, I have taught him everything with clicker training. As you all know he knows the basic commands plus 28 tricks I have taught him so is definitely a smart dog. Also when he is reactive on the leash with dogs and other people, I am able to get his attention with high reward treats and normally I can get him to sit,stay,down watch me, and target my hand Using the clicker or just saying yes. Do you think part of this has to do with his age? I know I have to take some of the blame for not teaching calmness and manners on the leash. I also am in the process of getting him use to a gentle leader head collar along with a double leash one attached to the head collar and the other to the harness. Also the lady at Petco made me feel terrible like she was acting like my dog was a killer ugh.She was literally scanning every isle and acting terrified like on pins and needles. I understand that Mozart will bark and pull to get to other dogs but once he gets to the dog and sniffs he seems to be super polite goes around and sniffs their butt and sometimes will try to play. He has never bitten any dog or person heck a toddler has pulled his tail and ears so hard he cried and still he never snapped. Has he lunged at dogs and growled yes but it seems to be my fault when I keep the leash tense or if I extremely nervous about him meeting another dog.

Edited by author Thu Jan 31, '13 12:57pm PST

[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 2:25pm PST 
Does it sound like he is leash reactive?
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 6:23pm PST 
A toddler pulled his ears and tail so hard he cried? Really? :/

It sounds like you need to stand up for your dog. Clearly he was scared of the bulldog, I think you need to step it back ... I mean he doesn't NEED to go to petco does he?

I'm really just blown away by the comment about the toddler ...... how does something like that even happen?
[notify]

Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:51pm PST 
Jackson Tan about the toddler we watched a little girl every since she was a baby till she was about 16 months old. Mozart was just a small young 8 week old puppy when she was a baby they were practicality rasied together. They both loved loved each other and then one day when she was older the little girl grabbed Mozart ears I guess pretty hard he squealed I made sure to discipline the little girl and then after that I kept them separated not long after that we moved due to a job promotion. It is not something I am happy about but it is not something I let happen at all again I feel terrible that it happened but we all make mistakes that what makes us human. The girl was a sweet girl but as she got older she seemed to try to tease and try to harm the dogs. So I'm glad we are not watching her anymore.
[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:54pm PST 
Also the dog and child were never left alone together they were always supervised.
[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 8:09pm PST 
Also regarding Petco I had a gift card their from Christmas and just decided to bring the dog with me. Not something I normally do as I am the type of person where I would rather go for a nice walk or hike with dogs that is what I and the dogs enjoy! Heck I really don't like Petco or Pet smart I buy the dogs food and other stuff at nice mom and pop pet store that sells high quality food, now that is were I like to give my money too. But I was not going to waste a gift card I got as a gift.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 10:00am PST 
I dont think he was being leash reactive he was probably just really excited. You can help teach him leash manners and to be calm while on leash. Kashmir is a little snarky on leash. People will shove dogs in her face and she will snap at them. I have to tell people that she doesnt like dogs in her face and will usually body block them. She loves going to the store and to the outside mall with me and because she snarky on leash it doesnt stop me from bringing her places. Use this as a learning experience. Maybe bring the clicker and have him sit and when he is calm then he can greet the dog, if he is not calm he doesnt get to greet the dog. Use the greeting of dogs as a reward for behaving calmly. smile

Edited by author Mon Feb 4, '13 10:02am PST

[notify]