GO!

My dog doesn't like me :(

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 9:26am PST 
The point is, if you're gone for five days out of the week, you need to arrange something with someone else so that he gets the attention and exercise he needs. Doing everything possible when you're home isn't enough. He needs more than just weekends.

If it's really not possible for him to get more time out of the crate, then you need to consider what kind of life he has and do what's best for him.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 9:47am PST 
he does have care takers who give him fresh food and water take him for his walks and clean his place for him
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 10:14am PST 
A German Shepherd who is confined, neglected and ignored is very likely to get out of control, quickly. Dogs don't come trained you have to train them. If he is dragging you around, then obviously he has not been trained, and I expect if you were locked up all the time you would act up when let out.
I have to say I am sickened and disgusted that you would take a beautiful, noble, loyal dog and subject him to this. This is a breed that has been known to die when separated from from their people. Mine tried to starve herself to death when I left her for a couple of months. That your dog is trying to cope is a credit to his character. If you want to keep him you need to do whatever you have to do to give him the exercise, training, love and attention that he needs. If you can't provide for his basic needs then you NEED to find him a home with someone who can. Any other option is not acceptable. Frankly, I don't blame him for not liking you.
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 10:15am PST 
How does he feel about his caretakers?
How long are his walks? What do they look like? Any off leash running?
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 10:22am PST 
It's not that your dog doesn't love you; it's that he doesn't know you!

This sounds like a very sad situation for the dog. They need interaction, exercise, and stimulation every day, not once in a while. There is a saying: "If you love something, set it free." I honestly think that you should rehome this dog to give him a chance at a good life.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 10:34am PST 
thankyou for all your responses i will take my dog for classes and be with him more and for all of you who think i should re home him back off i heard enough of it and im not torturing him thats for sure because if i was i love him enough to have done that long ago.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 10:58am PST 
He is alone as no one in my family has time for him and are basically scared of him
I only come during weekends, and also he is huge to take for a walk
he is always locked in his kennel and he is left open at night till morning.

Those are your words. That is NO life for a dog.
I have no doubt that you love him, but love comes with responsibility. To train...daily; to exercise....daily; to work with his mind...daily. Dogs are not "just for weekends." Unless you are able to invest time with him...daily, then you need to really look at why you have a dog at this time.
Classes will not help if you do not follow up with daily work.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 11:06am PST 
Sadly, this is true. I hope that the OP will take some of this to heart. Thanks other posters for going where I was too meek to go.

The dog I left behind for so long...as in my early post? She was with family who loved her and had the run of a bayside property. Not the same story.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 12:38pm PST 
Good intentions aren't always enough.

You really have 2 options. Find a way to make his life more active or find a home that can do that for him. People that suggest re-homing aren't trying to berate. Sometimes that is the best choice for all involved, and you can't take that personally.

And just because you enjoy or love something doesn't mean having it in your possession is best. I love horses, but I don't have the space for them. Cramming them in a small space and only taking them out occasionally is not good life for the horse, despite my love for them and me doing all possible. I have to find what best for all, and that may not be what makes me particularly happy either.

You have to be honest with yourself. You have a dog that you don't seem to have much time for. I personally wouldn't see the point in having a dog if the majority of its time was spent with caretakers, and I only saw them on the weekends. If this arrangement is temporary, then I see no harm. But if there isn't a foreseeable change, then I just don't think things are going well, and the dog is getting the short end of the stick.
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 4:44pm PST 
So he is unhappy because he stays locked in a kennel all the time with no attention, just someone that feeds him and takes him out to pee. He is not getting the attention he needs. He needs human contact, love, attention, interaction with people. If you cannot find a way to provide him with that, then you should rehome him. Just feeding him and keeping his kennel clean is not enough to meet his needs.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5