GO!

My dog doesn't like me :(

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:13am PST 
I always played with my dog but for the last few years I could'nt give him much attention I admit its my fault. Today when I went to play with him I noticed he would'nt even sit next to me or listen to my commands. I feel like crying my eyes out because I love him a lot. Can you please tell me what I can do to make him love me againcry
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:19am PST 
Does he favor someone else, or is her just generally aloof?
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:22am PST 
He is alone as no one in my family has time for him and are basically scared of him but is has care takers who give him food and take him for a walk. I play with him every time i come hom from hostel thats most weekends
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:23am PST 
Is he an outdoor dog? Or a pet? What breed?
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:32am PST 
Sounds like you need to spend some time with him, both playing with him and taking care of him, if you want him to feel close to you. Dogs tend to like the people spend the most time with them and take care of them the best. My dog does like my roommate too, but he likes me better and I think that's because I am the one that feeds him, takes him for walks, and spends the most time playing with him.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:32am PST 
He is a german shepard
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:35am PST 
I would love to but the problem is I dont stay at home I only come during weekends, and also he is huge to take for a walk last time I tried he dragged me on the road..
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:36am PST 
Okay, I asked because I was wondering if it was a notoriously aloof breed. Does he get any sort of human interaction, or is he out in the yard when you are not around?

I am not sure how much advice I can give you, poster above is pretty much on target. I once had to be away for an extended period, and my dog at the time stayed with family. She looked a little confused when I came back, but warmed up with attention. She was a Lab, and they love love. A German Shepherd might need a little more "courtin'."
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:40am PST 
he is always locked in his kennel and he is left open at night till morning. When i come home i unleash him but the problem is i cant leave him open as there are small kids at my place who are scared of him and my aunt locks him back frown
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:48am PST 
It doesn't seem like he is getting a lot of attention, even when you are there. Could you find a training class to attend with him on the weekends? Working with him might help his on leash behavior and also create some bonding.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5