GO!

Peeing in crate - newly adopted

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 4:07pm PST 
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had crate issues with newly adopted adult pets. Of course the rescue said she is "crate trained," but it's not going that well just yet. I pray to god this is only because she has only lived here for 3 days and she's still adjusting but I'm quite nervous that it's a bigger issue.

She is about 3 or 4. She seems perfect outside the peeing in the crate. I've crate trained puppies before and tried to do a fast version for her, thinking it would be a breeze since she was crated at the rescue. I keep it out, taught her to go in it for treats, shut the door and left the room, ignore her when I open the door, feed her in it, and she sleeps in it through the night. But we have left the house with her in the crate twice, both times for under 3 hours, and she peed both times.

Yesterday the crate was in the living room and I thought maybe the cats were agitating her. So today we tried taking the blanket out and put the crate in the bedroom, that didn't help. She just laid in her urine. When I open the door she seems very stressed, she runs around and wants to run around to the side and back of the crate inspecting it.

I know a girl who just adopted a retired Greyhound. She too thought it wouldn't be an issue as Greyhounds grow up living all day in their crates. But she had to give up and keep the dog in a room with a baby gate while she works. I'm afraid to try that just yet for her safety and my cats' safety.
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 5:05pm PST 
Has she been checked for a UTI? Does she show other signs of separation anxiety, like crying when you leave or tearing up her bedding?
[notify]
Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 5:10pm PST 
She has not been checked for a UTI, but she does have tapeworms. The rescue sent me meds for that in the mail today.

She has not peed in the house, only in her crate the two times we left.

This morning I took her outside when I woke up, no pee. I took her on a walk after she ate, no pee. My boyfriend let her out a few hours later, and she finally peed after a lot of walking around.

Edited by author Tue Jan 29, '13 5:11pm PST

[notify]

Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 5:18pm PST 
Forgot to answer your other question. She whines a little in her crate at bedtime but then goes to sleep. She hasn't destroyed anything when she peed in there. One time there was a blanket and one time a soft toy, she didn't destroy either.

I don't know if she whines when we leave because we put her in the crate with something she likes and she's still chewing/licking it when we leave. I'm sure she does though. But when I've returned and let her out, she's been quiet so far.

She is currently confined to the livingroom and dining room and whenever we get up to go to another room she has to get up and watch, wait for us to return.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 12:10am PST 
I really suggest that you get your dog to a vet and tell him that you suspect UTI. But I would like to ask if you've noticed any of the following symptoms: More frequent urination, urinating a little bit at a time but seem to have to urinate more often than usual, straining while urinating or have difficulty urinating, blood in urine or a strong smell to the urine, darker yellow or even brown urine, tenderness in the dog's abdomen when you touch it, fever, lethargy?

The hallmark sign of diagnosing a UTI would be accidents in house trained dogs. You say the people from the rescue said she was crate trained.
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 11:44am PST 
I also think it might be medical. Adult dogs don't pee somewhere they have to lie down if they can help it (that's not something that's trained, it's innate), and a dog who is so distracted by a Kong that she lets you get out of earshot without crying, doesn't destroy bedding or toys, and appears calm on your return really doesn't sound like the kind of severe separation anxiety that results in peeing. If you want to be sure, though, there are some apps that allow you to watch her on your phone over webcam. I have used ivideon to watch Smokey.

If the vet doesn't find a UTI, the next thing I would ask is how she does on walks. Is she overwhelmingly reactive, nervous, or distracted? For example, tail tucked, having to be coaxed along constantly, freezing and staring, constantly hitting the end of the leash, growling at other dogs, or unable to take treats or follow commands?
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 8:10pm PST 
This is the OP, posting from the new dog's account. I just set it up.

No she isn't showing any odd symptoms that might point to a UTI, but I will take her to the vet soon. She has only been living here for 4 days so I am hoping it is stress related and will dissipate, but apparently no one is on the same page with me, she must be sick. She hardly pees at all.

However she is on an antibiotic, doxycycline, because the shelter she was in had kennel cough running through it and they said give it to her just in case. She coughed a few times, and I wanted to protect my cats, so I am giving it to her for 10 days. She also had tapeworms. I gave her pills for that today.

She is calm when I come in, but when I open the door to let her out of her crate she flips out, running around in circles and running around the crate to sniff it. It's the plastic kind for airline travel.

My next step will be shutting her in the bedroom in the crate with the bedroom door shut to make sure the cats aren't bothering her. If that doesn't work I might try the crate out in the livingroom. If that doesn't work I'll try letting her out of the crate and I'll watch her via webcam. I'm afraid she will pee inside or destroy things :-(

I hope this blows over once she is acclimated!!!!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 11:38pm PST 
"Adult dogs don't pee somewhere they have to lie down if they can help it (that's not something that's trained, it's innate"

Smokey, I think most dogs both young and adults don't pee anywhere near their sleeping area. smile
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 8:48am PST 
Obviously they do if they are having anxiety. There are questions about it all over the internet.
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 1:59pm PST 
This is the OP.

Just did a test where I left her free out of her crate to see if it was just the crate confinement that was the issue. I set up webcam (ustream) and left for 5, then 10, then 15 minutes-ish. I watched outside on my phone.

She didn't do very good. Whining, pacing, finding strange things to chew on, scratching at all the doors. Then when I would go back in I would ignore her and she would find an appropriate chew toy like her bone. So I feel like she needs to be crated but that that might make things worse as far as her stress level :-(

I'm now laying on the couch and she laid next to me to go to sleep. We are 1 week into a 2 week trial adoption. I really don't know if I can handle this.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2