GO!

I can't believe the entire situation.. Ignorant owners.. Regrets, and sorrow.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 6:00pm PST 
In Illinois putting down a dog in any way other than via actual euthanasia (with a vet and whatnot) is a class 4 felony.

But, yeah, that was my reaction too. I would never have let someone shoot my dog. Not if I was there to prevent it. And I would not have been letting that person back into my house again, at least not with a gun.

Edited by author Mon Jan 28, '13 6:00pm PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 8:01pm PST 
Yeah.. again, they're very old fashioned farmers. I am NOT condoning what they did. In fact, I'm very, very, very against how they killed her and just as much against the fact that they did. And no, I'm not happy that my friend didn't do anything about them bringing out the rifle. I do think, however, that she was too shocked to realize everything that was happening before it happened. She regrets it all and she does regret not having done anything.

I am not friends with those that shot the dog or have that belief. In fact, my friend would have rather have taken her to the Vet too and likely would have had they given her any time to think at all.

That said, my fiance was raised by farmers with the same belief of taking a dog out to the woods and shooting it... Y'know, the whole 35 cent bullet versus several hundred dollars to euthanize, and the whole "I don't want someone else doing it, it's my dog." and all that other CRAP.

I pointed out that a large part of why I'm against it is because I've SEEN rescue dogs that had bullets lodged in their skulls and still lived, SUFFERING from it!

He hasn't changed his mind. I simply told him, "You ever even suggest shooting one of our dogs, and you'll ruin our entire relationship and all the trust I have in you. You won't ever shoot my dogs. There isn't a penny I would spare to save my dogs, or euthanize them humanely."

Any ideas on how to change his mindset or make him see why it's such a terrible way to put a dog to sleep? It breaks my heart that he was raised to think like that and I can't think of any other ways to point out why it's more humane. He's been trying to tell me NOTHING is quicker than that bullet...
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 10:00pm PST 
You won't change his mind, don't try. Just make it very clear that it isn't happening with YOUR dogs or in YOUR presence.
You know it's a pretty common mindset around here, you must have noticed. I fondly refer to this province as the last stronghold of the redneck chauvinist pigsfrown You know that most folks still don't think dogs belong in the house, they figure if a dog gets hurt it should have been smarter, vets are for livestock not dogs and cats, and the dogs are lucky they get food cause if they were real dogs they could find there own.
That's why I didn't comment on that part. I see it all the time and I have learned that hope lies with the younger generation because unless we get to them in the cradle, this attitude will not change.
Don't beat yourself up about this, it wasn't you that failed. I feel for your friend but I cannot condone her failure to act. You can't save them all, trust me.
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 11:57pm PST 
I tend to agree with Sabi here. I don't think you're going to be able to change any minds. Just make your own stance clear.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 3:05am PST 
Change minds, probably not. Actually it would be a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't live with someone who's beliefs were so radically different from mine. I wonder what else you are going to find out that is different in your views on life?

Anyway I am sorry for the poor dog and sorry that there are still so many ignorant people perpetuating themselves.

naughty
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 4:15am PST 
Sabi - I've gotten so tired of these beliefs though... I'm SURROUNDED by idiots with beliefs that dogs don't need healthy food, nutrition or vet care, that they can be shot to be euthanized, that they're not worth keeping alive if they get sick or injured, that they don't need exercise, mental stimulation or to be taught proper manners... I'm tired of people saying "let dogs be dogs." when they're the ones leaving dogs off leash to run into streets or to get into serious fights with other dogs to 'work it out on their own'. Literally... everyone around me, save for maybe my mother and a few very very close friends. Everyone else? Ha... It's all the same, uneducated crap over and over.

Fritz - Other than his beliefs(or perhaps we can call it ignorance and lack of education on the matter?) with that, we actually have many common beliefs and understandings. We were simply raised differently when it comes to the way to euthanize our pets. Or rather, I wasn't raised with ANY and created my own over the years of loving animals. He was raised with parents who owned a farm and shot animals that were dying, going to be food, injured, or too sick to bring back to health and he was never educated otherwise. He does respect my stance with it though, and wouldn't shoot my dogs(not that he even has a gun), as he knows it would be the end all. Even suggesting shooting my dogs would be an end all deal breaker for me. I won't risk my dogs safety. Having a different belief than me though on what's right or wrong, or humane isn't necessarily a deal breaker, s'long as he respects where I stand and understands it. He wouldn't ever intentionally HURT my dogs, however. We've been together for three years, though and we're having a baby in the summer, so I'm sooner going to try to keep things understood between us and respected(our dogs will ALWAYS be humanely euthanized, no ifs, ands, or buts and he's fully aware of this. He does NOT live on the farm anymore, where his parents believed dogs are no better than cattle.) He seems to believe that euthanizing a dog through a needle is painful and takes a long time, whereas a bullet is quick and gets it over with instantly(assuming the dog doesn't live through it - and likely due to the lack of education otherwise). I don't know how I could make him understand otherwise, without him being there to see it though. He wasn't around when I had to put Maya to sleep, so he didn't get the chance to experience what that was actually like and how much stress and pain it actually LACKED for her. Again, I love him and I can't blame him for his ignorance and lack of education. I CAN blame him if he refuses to respect my stance on it though, and refuses to be educated on the matter - which he actually seems pretty open to learning more about, if I can find a way to properly explain he process of it and how quick it actually is.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 6:48am PST 
That's so tough about your Fiance's beliefs. I think though i'd just say what you have Charlie and leave it at that. As long as he knows that's never going to be an option with your own dog's than there should never be an issue.

Is the Irish Setter the same puppy that nipped their small child in excitement? It's quite concerning that they have any more dogs if i'm honest. I know you offered them lots of help and advice before, but i do hope your friend can really commit to the dog and make sure she is well trained and safe.

Edited by author Tue Jan 29, '13 6:49am PST

[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 7:24am PST 
I don't know Sabi and Charlie; I think things are changing here. Maybe it's different in the South end of Calgary?

Yes, there are still people (my neighbors) who would rather muzzle their Beagle to quiet his barking than actually walk him, but my friends would spend anything to care for their dogs. Their dogs are their lives. These dogs go to daycare, get walked, some are raw fed-all are trained.

Rescue organizations like ARF are working hard to help the Rez pups, and force-free training facilities like Dogma even offer free puppy classes, to help prevent the issues that cause owners to later abandon their pets.

And let's not forget that we DON'T have BSL here, and even after all the recent media crap, I saw a woman with her well-trained Pittie at the DP and people seemed to be making a point of introducing their dogs to hers. Dogs don't get euthanized at the CHS for space reasons, cats rarely.

I think you CAN change your BF's mind. Or maybe his heart. When people start to view pets as family members, that's when ideas like shooting them simply disappear. Since he loves you, he should love your family, no? My whole family and circle of friends talk to and about Lupi as if she were my child. No I DON'T call myself her "mommy!" but I treat her with the respect and love I would give a person. I also expect her
to behave flawlessly in the homes of others, so that she is welcomed anywhere. Even when I'm not around, her extended family gives her the same level of care.

When your fiancé sees how well-trained Ridley becomes, how much work you put into him (because maybe he missed out on that with Charlie), he will have to realize the extent to which you love your dogs. And how "good dogs" are raised, not generally born, that way. Does he take part in the care of your dogs? Nothing develops that bond like sharing in the care and training of animals.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 7:57am PST 
Lupi, in the city things are slowly turning, largely with the younger folks.
But in rural areas, not even close. Yes the rescues are trying but still an uphill battle. The Rez dogs, after 20 or so years they are still fighting to make things better. Still rampant disease and inbreeding, still massive numbers, still way too many dead dogs.
Demographically it is the upper middle/middle class women who are making the difference. They are the ones who spend the most on vet care and pet products. And they are the ones supporting the rescues.
Charlie I know where you are coming from, and maybe you can change his mind but I have my doubts. As long as he respects your beliefs I guess that's all that matters.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 8:28am PST 
That's true Sabi; I am speaking specifically of the city. And yes, it's the children who grew up on farms, but moved into town that seem to be doing a 180 in terms of dog ownership.
I agree, it's depressing to visit the reserve communities and see the amount of sick and neglected animals. But even some of the young people growing up out there are starting to view speuter as a positive thing.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4