GO!

I can't believe the entire situation.. Ignorant owners.. Regrets, and sorrow.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 6:15am PST 
Just curious, since the little dog was a male--was part of his irritation to her, trying to hump her? Cause I've seen little male dogs really get on a female's last nerve by refusing to quit trying to hump--I know my own dog who's usually very patient with little dogs gets fed up with my brother's Yorkie because no matter how many times she tell him off, he tries again in a few minutes --or was it just generally pushiness?

I'm so sorry for you--seeing a train wreck in the making and knowing it could have been prevented---and those kids being traumatized--ugh, the whole thing is so awful! hughughughughug

Edited by author Mon Jan 28, '13 6:16am PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 9:41am PST 
Charlie,hughug
I watched a similar situation unfold a number of years ago. A close friend of mine had an older GSD and two fully adult PBs. I had been witness to a number of scuffles between the GSD and the one PB, both male. I had cautioned a few times that they ought to be seperated.
One night I got a frantic call from my husband. The dogs had gotten in a fight in the living room in front of my friend and the two PBs literally tore the GSD apart. It was heartbreaking and maddening at the same time. These types of situations can always be avoided.
I'm sorry you had to deal with this, especially now. And once again two good dogs paid the price for human foolishness.
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 9:49am PST 
hug

So sorry to hear about that bad situation that ended so poorly for both those dogs. You did what you could to be their voice and point out the obvious, so don't think there was anything you could've done differently.

May the two pups rest in peace.little angel
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 10:22am PST 
Terrible situation. I doubt i would have been able to remain so calm myself if i knew someone well enough to comment. But, like others have said, it's impossible to get through to some people.

Did they shoot her? Seems very harsh to end the life of something in that way. Especially something they supposedly loved and cared for....cry
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 12:39pm PST 
confused Wow what a tragedy, that is so sad, and to think it could have been avoided.
I am sorry you are going through this, and I feel bad for those kids who had to see it as well!
You did your best dont blame yourself.
RIP Tom and Sierra
hughughughug
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 2:27pm PST 
Augusta - I'm fairly sure he was just being a general pushy pest. Before they moved up there, they had gone there a few times for a week at a time or so and Sierra had been harassed by him then too, and when they moved there, I guess they didn't really think anything of it because let's be honest, they rarely saw their interactions to begin with. It was two city dogs that moved to a farm, and were allowed loose outside with the resident dogs, who weren't as used to having other dogs around and weren't nearly as socialized either.

Missy - Yes, they shot her. The men didn't give my friend a choice, they didn't even give her enough time to process what happened and understand the situation. It was simply, "she killed another dog, so we're going to shoot her." They're very very old-fashioned farmers who, if their dogs get too sick, or injured, or old, or bite, they shoot it and bury it, no ifs, ands or buts. And the father-in-law was saying things like, "What if it had been one of the children? What if she did it again if we let her live? What if this, what if that, and once a taste for blood, always a taste for blood." etc. Seriously reallllyyyy old fashioned line of thinking and clearly doesn't know that dog aggression RARELY turns into human aggression unless you accidentally end up in the middle of it and even then, it's not human aggression so much as you were in the way, y'know? They were trying to say it would be a danger to her children, who Sierra ADORED, etc and basically coerced her before she could even get her head straight about the situation. I feel so terribly for her, the kids and the dogs, because they're having such a hard time with it. My friend still hasn't stopped crying, and her two year old keeps saying "Sierra went to heaven... mommy don't cry, it's okay." and making it harder on her.

It's a sad situation all around...

Her husband keeps trying to say, "We'll get a new Shepherd, or a new Shepherd/Collie." and she said, "No. You CAN'T replace my dog. I don't want another dog. We need to focus on Jersey now.." Jersey being their Irish Setter puppy.

It is very, very difficult to not make the comments that I am thinking in my head, but I really don't want to make it worse for my friend. They made a dire mistake, they didn't see the signs, refused to supervise or keep the dogs separate and hopefully, this heartbreaking situation has made them see what they could have done differently and could do differently with their pup that they still have.

This is why I never leave dogs unsupervised together... There are so many risks...

My friend wishes she could go back and right wrongs, change the situation, make it better, but she knows that all she can do is look after their current pup and try to move forward and heal..

Jersey won't go outside now that Sierra is gone. They go out with her and she just stands there and watches the distance as if she's expecting Sierra to come back.. At night, she goes to Sierra's bed, sniffs it and lays next to it. Won't lay on it at all.. Not really doing anything. Following my friend around like the velcro dog she isn't.. They're giving her a lot of attention, affection, etc..

I wish it didn't have to happen... And I feel so badly for everyone.. Thank you for all of your well wishes to the dogs and children who witnessed the ordeal.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 2:51pm PST 
the whole thing is just horrible. and those poor kids.
little dog/big dog never ends well.I have seen little dogs that just will not stop, its sad the humans were so blind.

be at peace
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 3:29pm PST 
Dear Dog,
Your friend needs to get away from her crazy in laws. Shoot my dog, you would have to shoot me too.

What did your friend do to stop it? Kiss her dog goodbye and step aside????

Yes it is a sad situation, but as dog owners we have to stand up for our dogs. A mistake on a mistake.

Honestly, I would not be friends with people who shoot dogs or stand aside while their dog was shot.hug
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 4:20pm PST 
Maybe someday they'll make shooting non-threatening domestic animals an actual crime, and monsters like the man who did this can get their heads cracked by the arm of the law.

Can only dream.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 5:55pm PST 
hug I'm so sorry. You can't blame yourself. A friend of mine had a small lab mix in a similar situation. Only the dog was over protective of the daughter who was about 12. There was no real structure or discipline for the dog so she used to lay on the daughter's bed and guard her. One night the mother walked in to check on her and the dog bit her in the face. The father grabbed the dog and immediately took it to a vet and had her put to sleep. A side from some needed structure and discipline, a very nice dog was destroyed. She was always friendly and playful when we went over. Me and a lot of other people started to blame ourselves. Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do. Many people tried giving them advise and they just wouldn't listen. In the mean time, the next week, they had another puppy to replace the one they had put down. Another disaster waiting to happen. shrug
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4