GO!

Winter Wackies and Cabin Fever

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:44pm PST 
The "real feel" temperature is about 9 degrees tonight. I need advice on activities we can do inside to get some of the zoomies out. We have a pretty big basement. A big backyard too but even with sweater and jacket Callie is virtually naked, his fur is so short.
The two of them right now are racing through the living room bulldozing anything in their path. Wish there was an indoor dog park around here...I've seen they have them in other states-great idea!!!!!
Suggestions anybody???
[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 6:55am PST 
Personally, I just go out for walks. Even if it's cold outside, when you are actively moving, you don't feel it. I went out for a walk this morning with wind chills in the negatives. I was almost sweating half-way through the walk, and I'm prone to being on the cold side too.

The cold doesn't stop me, but my laziness sometimes gets the best of me. Do you have stairs? I will either run up and down the steps with Kato or get him really amped up and toss toys up/down the stairs so he runs up and down them.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 7:17am PST 
Admittedly we don't get as cold temps as you guys seem to be suffering, but we still get cold temps and like Kato, i just continue walking every day. We walk in blizzards, rain, hot temps, cold temps...we walk in it all laugh out loud That's why having "all weather" kind of dogs is important to me.

If i don't feel like walking far however, i take a ball and wear them out quicker by playing a few games of fetch. Was funny to watch Missy skidding on the ice today in pursuit of the ball laugh out loud

How about playing some hide and seek games? Scatter some of their food around the house or a few rooms etc and then ask them to seek them out. You could do the same with toys. If you have any interactive games ( like the Nina Ottosson toys ) you could have play sessions with those too. You could warm up in the garden by having some fetch games maybe wink
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 7:52am PST 
We haven't walked in a while either because the wind chill has been in the negatives. red face I try and take Kashmir to the pet store once in a while or to my dads to hang out, at least she is out of the house then. We play ball or i teach her new tricks or get her a new bone to chew on. Its a winter wonderland here in michigan as new snow falls, so i think i will bundle us up and go for a walk applause She has a sweater and a coat i can put on her.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 3:24pm PST 
I have TEN living in my house with me. My guys go outside for a run every day when I am off work, no matter what the weather. I have jackets that the hairless cresteds wear over their fleece pajamas. As long as they are moving, they keep plenty warm enough. If they didn't go for their run I would be insane.
Also, mine have the opportunity to do daycare every weekday, I usually alternate who goes what day.
Finally, I have about 20 marrow bones, nylabones and other chewing treats scattered about for them which makes settling down in the evening a reality.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 5:42pm PST 
Good ideas all, the hide and seek we've been doing and the steps do count as exercise plus we have enough sweaters and jackets...wish I could find him leg warmers that would stay up...even finding sweaters for bully sized shoulders is tricky...but yeah, if he walks for awhile he'll warm up. Sophie can go with me to the local shopping center- a Petco and bunch of dog friendly stores to window shop, it's snowing right now but we're getting out there! snoopysnoopysnoopyhappy dance
[notify]
Sonny Jim

Franks say that- I'm BACK IN- BLACK!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 11:06am PST 
We go out for a walk as long as there is not a frostbite warning for "15 minutes out." My Pit/Lab mix has fine, short Pittie hair, not Lab hair. Then we let him zoom around the house, play stair fetch, and hide and seek with treats. He also enjoys tug with us and the other dogs. He will still go out in the fenced backyard and run briefly several times a day, even at 12 below. My Cattle Dog/Pit, who has Cattle Dog hair, doesn't like the cold much but still goes out. My Golden and my Toller mix, OTOH, love the cold, play a lot in it, and walk 3 miles plus run and play in the park. smile
[notify]