GO!

Dog v. cats

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 3:49pm PST 
I just adopted a 44 pounds Amer-staff mix and have 6 cats. All has gone well, except for today.

Gave Viki a large bone and when one of the cats approached it when she was not looking, Viki jumped at her and snapped. Didn't really bite because the cat ran away fast, but it is scaring me.

Other than that they get along at a distance.

Help please.

Edited by author Thu Jan 24, '13 4:06pm PST

[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 4:59am PST 
I would assume the cats will learn to keep their distance from the dog. They learn what they can and can't do. It does worry me a little that the dog snapped though. Does he snap or growl at you when you are nearby or approach him?
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 10:42am PST 
First thing I noticed - she had a bone when the cat approached.

How does she react when you go near her bones?

It sounds like resource guarding to me, and she's guarding it from the other animals in the house. If she WANTED to bite the cat, I can guarantee she wouldn't have just snapped.

How does she react when they're nearby without the bone being there?
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 1:21pm PST 
The way I measure the cats and dog together is the fact that yes the dogs will sometimes tease the cats with nose under tail or a warning bark that says the leftover meatloaf is OURS, and the cats will respond with growls and hisses, perhaps claws in nose or butt as dog walks by.

But it's just daily family interaction and they work it out. Remember that the cats choose to be in the room with the dogs. The dogs choose to tease or give a warning bark or growl...then go back to eating. In actuality one of the dogs could kill a cat instantly and easily, but they aren't going to...they're just protective of their meatloaf...

and that's been my experience in 40 years of various dogs and cats
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 3:33pm PST 
Opheila... sadly, I know of at least two cases where the dog and cat lived together for years and years and one day, out of no where, the dog grabbed the cat and snapped its neck.
One was a GSD, 10 years old and a 10 year old cat that had lived with her and slept with her since they were both babies. One day, the cat walked over to the dogs food dish, the dog just leaned over, grabbed her by the neck and shook once, killing the cat.
The other was a beagle who, again had been with the cat for years... cat jumped up on the bed, which it had done a million times, the dog reached out and grabbed it by the head and broke its neck.
I NEVER trust them left together alone in the same room!!!! Actually, in both the above cases the owners were right there... sitting at the kitchen table where the dog food dish was with the GSD, and sadly, sleeping in the same bed as the beagle.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 5:29pm PST 
Yes, unfortunately with some dogs and cats tragic things can happen. On one hand we know a family where dog, cat and huge rabbit all have harmonious run of the house...but then we also know a GSD that left parts of the family cat through the house. I've also seen Sophie kill two strays in front of me. But some dogs do differentiate strongly between "their" cats and other cats. Either we've just been lucky
or had really wussy dogs
or really evil cats
...possibly all of the above
thinking
Since you haven't had your boy for long just keep an eye on him with the cats and teach some variation of the Leave It command. If I see Callie about to get his nose smacke open, I'll order him to get down NOW, both for his own health and the cats...Best of Luck
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 5:31pm PST 
Oops didn't read close enough that your doggie is a girl, all apologiessmile
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 9:47am PST 
Wanted to thank all of you for your responses. I should not have had that big fresh bone where the cats could smell it. shock My bad.

I will be back as I have a few more questions about this doggie, since she had been adopted before and then taken back to the shelter. She has quite a few trust issues and anxiety if I even leave the room. She has done many things I need to ask questions about and almost took her back, but refuse to put her through that again.

I will be back and hope this is the right section to ask questions.

Thanks again for your help. I used to post in the cat section all the time since I rescued cats, but this is my first time in dogsters. dog walk
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 10:32am PST 
Nare loves kitties, we have 4, he loves to clean them and lets them bat his ears and lay on his tail and feet.
But he is never allowed with them unsupervised. Never. Ever. They were here before he was and I'm just not willing to take the risk.
[notify]
Josie

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 12:23pm PST 
Are there baby gates up? Have the cats been around dogs before? Have any of the cats had the chance to swat at the dog's nose yet?

I just got Josie on Saturday (6 days ago). She was my 2nd try at adopting since losing my last dog. The first dog had a very strong prey drive. Turned out she wasn't a Boxer mix like the rescue thought, she was a Treeing Hound. After a week we were absolutely exhausted and had to give her back to rescue, but luckily she got to go back to her foster home where she had dogs to play with.

With Josie things are going much better.
[notify]