GO!

What Are You Doing For "Train Your Dog Month?"

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4  
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 7:44pm PST 
Rexy, as far as I know it doesn't really matter as long as the dog's front end maintains the correct position. That's why the rock-back isn't preferred as it can easily pull those front paws back.

I may be mistaken though, I have just learned about this all since last night.
Cohen knows more about this than I do, so I'd wait for her input smile
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 8:24pm PST 
That's really interesting about the sits, not something I ever would have thought of.

I'm not even sure what sort of sit JT does. He just ... sits. (Observant one am I.)

Moose laugh out loud the class clown lol.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 4:36am PST 
Yeah, I don't think it matters as long as a dog's shoulder stays lined up with your leg. Rocking back can pull the dog back several inches, bringing the dog out of proper position, plus when you start heeling again the dog will be lagging right off the bat. I admit I've never seen a dog docked points for a sit bringing them slightly out of position, but I'm sure it does happen.

Plus the tuck sits look much tidier, so competitors tend to prefer them just as a stylistic choice.
[notify]

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 6:23am PST 
How does one go about teaching a dog to do a tuck sit vs a rock back sit?
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 6:43am PST 
It's pretty much just hind end awareness and muscle memory. Here's an article:

Rock back vs. tuck sits

I like mixing nice sits into a little sequence of down -> stand -> sit -> stand -> down -> sit, etc. It encourages Cohen to keep her front feet planted in one place and adjust her rear accordingly depending on what I ask for. The cues are fired off in quick succession (and she's known all these separate positions for several years now) and I reward her only for nice fluid movements and keeping those front paws planted in place.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 10:15am PST 
It is way easier to start tuck-sits when they are puppies frown Harley has a rock back sit that takes him at least 4-5 inches out of heel position. For rally we have never lost points.

Maci - reteaching heeling with attention. Stays with distractions (if it ever warms up here!) And she needs work on her outer circle on figure 8s.

Harley - we are getting lovely attention and excitment out of him finally but need to wean him off the food dish. Yes we bring his supper to practice...it is the only thing that gets him excited out there on the floor. Maybe we will try for our excellant level versus retiring the 4 year old smile Oh and tracking...but that will not be this month.
[notify]
Snoopy,- Mistur- Beegul

R I nod so- KYOOT?!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 6:44pm PST 
Mommy r twying tu teach me how tu wav hewo 'an how tu sweeze on comand. Mommy also pud mee in puppy cwasses tu help mee wearn more twicks 'an stuffs.

Gud Wucks on wearning yur twicks doggiez!!!
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 8:48pm PST 
Two more runs tonight, two more Q's! Just one away from two titles in C-WAGS Rally! smile
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 8:54am PST 
Congrats Sarah!!! cheer
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4