GO!

What Are You Doing For "Train Your Dog Month?"

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 12:03pm PST 
Came across this article in the Dogster Magazine: Dog Training is Important: Why We Created Train Your Dog Month

I need to get thinking fast, but I have a couple of ideas......thinking
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 12:16pm PST 
2x2 Weaves with Mo and Zephyr. I should probably finish taping the poles so I can actually accomplish it.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 12:19pm PST 
I'll admit I'm being lazy shrug

I'm working with sit-pretty, and a little backing up trick with Cobain. (he's got NO stomach muscles laugh out loud)

With Rigby I'm trying to get rollover and doing maybe some perchwork.

I would LIKE to be doing disc work, but it's flippin cold out! laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '13 12:24pm PST

[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 12:19pm PST 
I am teaching my guys to play a keyboard. Squ'mey was learning to play the piano, but it is over 100 years old, so I switched to the keyboard. It was given to me. laugh out loud
During the first session, Squam immediately knew what to do. It took Wiley a couple of times watching, but he got it & by the third rep he managed to turn on the rhythm button. Fourth try..he used his nose and hit a few keys.cheer
Last night was session two. Squam thinks an exuberant paw smack makes a fine "chord"laugh out loud We will have to refine it to a more gentle touch.
Wiley is emerging as the musician...he is now using his nose to play a series of individual notes...with the rhythm. big laugh
My end goal is to have them play a doggie duet happy dance
I've been taking videos on my phone as we go to see our progress.
[notify]
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 1:33pm PST 
We are working on heel. Rusty is very nose driven and a PITA to walk. Two days in a row with the Gentle Leader and there is success. After about a month, I will stop using it and see if he gets the idea. If not, it goes back on for another round.

The fun thing we are working on is his recall. I've been taking him down to a section of the lake to run free. He's coming back when I call him much better and starting to keep a better eye on where I am at. He gets a fun outing and if he hot foots it back to where I am at, he doesn't get leashed up.

However, the down side of his lake training is the added bonus (to him) of rolling in horse manure when he is out of my sight! shock Anyone know how to break him of that????? laugh out loud
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 3:59pm PST 
I was reading some articles today and came across this method, which looks feasible!
Recall training

I lijke the idea of teaching distances!
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 4:28pm PST 
Maybe you could use rolling in horse manure as the Premack reward for doing something else. You could even go hunt piles of horse manure together! wink
[notify]
G2

Be Scaredy of- Me, Dawg!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 5:16pm PST 
We are doing some blood trailing and treeing, and the new G2 son I have is getting to work on some obedience....working towards the next NALC show in about a month....
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 6:48pm PST 
I was attempting scent articles and I think the older dogs are getting it. Tika was slated for articles as well...but I got lazy and she got to learn how to back up (properly).
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 1:26am PST 
I'm going to work on putting Smokey in my room and closing the door briefly, then letting him out (desensitizing to leaving cues), and playing a recording of barking noises while feeding treats.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4