GO!

Not the Brightest Crayon...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 7:05pm PST 
Okay I am absolutely not complaining because in some houses this situation would end really badly...
But poor Callie, he could have a terrific GoodFella alias-"No Nose". From the first day he came in the house he learned there are certain cats that have no fear. They have also lived with dogs before and fully communicated his place in the household.
Now some months later he still doesn't understand why sniffing cat butts isn't the most wise idea. At least once a day he'll be walking with blood beading the top of his nose. You can see the brain cells churning "Ah, a fragrant kitty bottom, he'll never notice if I just SNUFFFFFHISSSSSSSMROWWW". Well, guess he just wants some personal space...duh...hum, warm, wet on my nose, oh there's another cat that smells even betterSNUFFFFF"...We try calling him or the cat when we see the situation and I'm so grateful he basically fears the cats almost as much as Sophie-except for the ones who sleep with them of course. But I think he'd make the connection by now about the sniffing.blue dog

Edited by author Mon Jan 21, '13 7:07pm PST

[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 6:15am PST 
Ahhh...poor boy. Sometimes the reinforcer (sniffing cat's bottoms) is more rewarding than the punisher (a bleeding nose).

Is this happeneing when you are around, when you are not around or both? Do you get a sense of when he is going in for a sniff ahead of time?
[notify]