GO!

New rescue puppy-need advice please

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Gracie Lou

Half dachsie,- all moxie!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 12:12pm PST 
Hi there. My best friend rescued a puppy from off the street last week and he has ended up at my house. The vet thinks he is a pit bull/boxer mix. He's about 10 months old, hasn't been eating well so is very skinny and has experienced some trauma that broke his left hip. The hip healed on it's own while he was on the street, and even though he limps on it a little, it doesn't hurt him or keep him from using that leg. He is extremely sweet, loves other dogs and wants nothing more than to play and cuddle with my dogs. However, they aren't crazy about him yet and are both a lot smaller and older than him. He's very playful and puppy-ish and can't be left alone for any amount of time. Right now I'm paying the lady who rescued him to puppy sit during the day, but that's $50 a week I wasn't counting on and am wondering for how long I'm likely to need a puppy sitter.

He'll be neutered this coming Friday, is heart worm negative and was given a pill today to kill the tapeworms that have surfaced. Right now he's being watched at my house but after he's fixed, he'll go to her house during the day where he can play with her dog whom he befriended the day she rescued him. He also really likes her cats but hasn't had any interaction with mine so far because they're terrified of him.

I guess I'm just looking for some confirmation that eventually he'll be able to chill out at home during the day with my dogs. He will be going to training asap as I know that he needs a lot of firm, loving disciplne. Never dealt with these breeds before and need to make a decision if I'm going to keep him or try to get him into a rescue foster situation.

Thanks!
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 1:15pm PST 
Firstly, he was rescued just last week. Are you sure he's a stray? Has he been checked for a microchip? I ask this because there are instances where he could have gone missing from a loving family and either gotten hit by a car while he was missing, or something along those lines, even.

Again, I'll point out he's a puppy - of a potentially very energetic mix, so the fact he was rescued JUST last week, doesn't surprise me he hasn't settled down. Some dogs can take MONTHS to settle into a new home, and it sounds like he has very little training behind him.

Might I ask why he isn't being crate trained?

How much exercise is he getting? If he is the mix you believe, he's going to need a lot of exercise to help curb his rambunctious behavior. A training class is a definite must. It's likely he'll be an energetic pup right up until he's two or even up to three or four, depending on the individual, so it could be a while before he 'settles' in terms of energy. Does that mean he can't have manners or be left home unsupervised before that? No. It just means it'll take a lot of exercise and some more work.

Good luck.
[notify]
Gracie Lou

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 1:31pm PST 
Yes we're sure he's a stray, or if not, we have no way to find his family. He is not microchipped, he's not been reported on any of the lost dog lists that my county maintains, nor is he listed in any of the online resources for my area. My vet says that the break to his hip happened at least a month ago because it's healed completely. In that case either he's been on his own at least that long or someone who was supposed to be caring for him aallowed it to go untreated.

He is being crate trained, but I will not leave him in a crate 10 hours a day, which is how long I'm gone.
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 1:36pm PST 
I can agree with that, so daycare of some sort or a dog walker may be best if you're gone ten hours. A puppy, not to mention such a breed mix, would get easily very bored that long, left to its own devices.

Also.. How much exercise is he getting?
[notify]
Gracie Lou

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 1:44pm PST 
He's getting about a mile and a half walk every day along with lots of fetch exercise in the evening when I'm home. He's content to run after a rope toy for quite a while. He crashes hard around 9pm when the other two do and sleeps soundly through the night with no wake ups or stirring so I'm hoping he's getting enough exercise. It's all I'm physically able to do and definitely won't be able to afford a dog walker on top of the doggy daycare frown I'm hoping once he's fixed and can spend his days at my friend's house playing with her dogs he'll be a lot more tuckered out at home. He would be now but Gracie and Merlin still think he's a horse and don't want anything to do with him. I play with him rather than them.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 2:45pm PST 
Being a bouncing baby it sounds like you're doing good with giving him enough exercise. Do you have a room you could close the door to or baby gate off eventually that would give him his own space from your older dogs? I would just be concerned the older dogs might get grumpy with an enthusiastic young pup. You could probably leave him home eventually and just keep up a brisk walk when you get home. On days off get him out in the yard if it's fenced or to a safe tennis court and pitch balls or sticks to chase. He'll calm down with you eventually, n' remember a tired bully is a happy bully.
[notify]