GO!

New to Crate Training

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Mischa

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:40am PST 
I've had dogs all my life. But in the past all of our family dogs had mainly either been primarily outside dogs or had been allowed to sleep wherever they chose in the house.

We picked up our dalmatian puppy over the weekend and last night was night #2. The first night she did okay only whining for ten minutes or so after putting her back in after a late night potty break. Last night she whined much more and each time she was put back in. We ended up putting her bed inside since she hadn't had any overnight accidents and was doing well sleeping in her bed and that did help some.

Everything I've read says just to let them cry and they will realize that you're not coming to let them out. That talking to them and/or shh'ing them only encourages them crying.

But I just feel so bad and don't want her to develop any problems from a traumatic experience. She's done fine through the day with having the crate open and going in and out.

Is it just that she's come to realize she doesn't have her litter next to her at night?

Any recommendations?
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:48am PST 
Keeping the crate open and available to her throughout the day is a great thing to do! So that's a great start.
Make sure she has some good toys with her and a comfy bed also. And you are doing late night potty breaks which is great. Sounds like you are doing what you can. I am sure she will whine for the first bit while it is settling in to her new home. It is a big change in a little pups life being taken from their parents and litter mates.
Make her crate a happy place, which again sounds like what your doing anyways.
I do not have much else to offer, I do not crate train myself, so I am sure someone with more insight to this can help.
Good luck! way to go
[notify]
Mischa

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:59am PST 
I'd never crate trained at night before but we need her to be okay with being in a crate through the day as we both work. We have a dog sitter that will be coming by a couple times through the day. And later after she's fully vaccinated we've looked into sending her to a doggy day care so she can become socialized to other dogs.

Eventually once she's fully potty trained we want to take the crate away at night so she can just sleep in her bed. Which she's good at anyway but we just want to take away the possibility of her wandering around and having an accident somewhere that we won't see. At least in a crate she has a way to tell us she needs to go outside. We can hear her stirring and whining which I don't think we could do if we just had her in her bed.

I am just feeling guilty. She's doing well with potty training so far so hopefully we can take the crate away soon. But right now I just want to rush to her crate and night and scoop her up and put her in bed with us. Haha. I'm a big softy. But I know it would just prolong the process.
[notify]

ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 9:28am PST 
Susan Garrett’s Crate Games may be a good starting point.
[notify]