GO!

Training question. Please help!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Cocoa Chanel

The Sheriff of- Westcity Terrace

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 9:38pm PST 
So i have a bichon and a maltipoo. My bichon is overly anxious and impatient. When I tell them to sit she will sit for a few seconds but after that she gets antsy and starts going thru all the tricks I've taught her just to get my attention. My maltipoo is you get than her and I'm scared he's gonna pick up her antics. For the moment tho he's more patient. I'm wondering how to combat this now. I want them to be well trained pooches. Another thing my bichon does is get crazy when another dog is around. She doesn't do it like she's trying to get to the dog to fight its more like she's trying to get over to play with the dog. I know some dogs would take that as aggression and me myself I preferred that she didn't act that way. I'll try removing her from the situation walking the other way and actually standing still and Trying to get her attention in other ways and still she behaves that way. I've had dog trainers work with her and I'm think starting to think that she's just going to remain that way. Please help. I want a courteous dog!!!
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 10:26pm PST 
I can offer what I did with Jake's behavior.

Jake at one time was impulsive about meeting other dogs. He used to bark and carry on dragging me into them and usually making people think he was "unfriendly" or aggressive. He was just over excited with his barking and pulling. I used to just deny him. IF he barked and cried then we walked the other direction until he stopped and i gained his focus again. If i was somewhere like a store then I taught him to focus on me and to sit quietly. Jake knows to ask to greet now though there are the rare times he'd still rather run up to someone.

As for the not sitting for long periods of time. How old your pup|? Some puppies aren't as patient as others. You can teach patience by not rewarding the bad behavior. If she wants your attention don't give it to her unless she's in a sit if you're doing tricks or whatever it is.

Jake learned that way pretty well. If he wanted to greet me after I came home from work he knew he had to sit on his rug by the front door. It took me about two weeks to teach him that for me to say hello to him after coming home right away he had to be on his mat and offering me a hand shake. ( Nothing beats a hand shake after a long day at the office BOL laugh out loud)

But don't reward her with your attention until she does the task you want. If she gets up from a sit and demands your attention don't give it to her. Eventually she'll sit down again and when she does praise her for that. And don't forgot to treat for steadily longer sits. Jake can sit for up to 5 minutes now without any sort of verbal or physical praise or treats.

Good luck.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 11:22pm PST 
You've taught a chain of behaviors so the dog thinks that you want them all in the order performed.

So, for instance, if you always ask for a sit, then a shake, then a lie down, then a roll over, the dog will learn to do all four tricks in this set pattern.

If asking for behaviors in a different order doesn't help, try mixing up the routine by teaching some new tricks. That'll make him stop and think instead of just going through the motions.

And it helps to teach a release. I end behaviors with "Okay!" when I want the dog to end the lie down or get up from the sit. You start by teaching "sit". When that's learned, then you say "sit" rapidly say "okay!" before the dog can end the behavior. Then you praise and reward. Then you stretch out the time between saying "sit" and "okay!". The dog learns that "Okay" means the end to the behavior.

Edited by author Sun Jan 20, '13 11:25pm PST

[notify]

ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 9:15am PST 
That does not seem like a chain to me, it sounds like your dog is throwing behaviors at you to earn a reinforcement. A lot of clicker trained dogs do this until the behaviors come under stimulus control (it is only done in the context of training when it is cued).

Karen Pryor writes a bit about it on p 44 of reaching the animal mind:

http://books.google.com/books?id=FSN_VDlw79wC&pg=PA44&lpg=P A44&dq=%22throwing+behaviors%22+dog&source=bl&ots=_Y5o8JuRWf&sig=Pvd lJTaMPnQzBZNqCGnJPu81b88&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HXf9UPnbBc6o0AHfqYCACA&ved=0C EQQ6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=%22throwing%20behaviors%22%20dog&f=false

(copy into your browser and remove the spaces)
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 11:42am PST 
I would train separately until they're 90% in accuracy and speed, then start training them together.
[notify]
Cocoa Chanel

The Sheriff of- Westcity Terrace

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 12:18pm PST 
Arch you're absolutely right on the nose. She is clicker trained. I guess my downfall was by training her to the clicker, I was prompted to reward right away instead of waiting a while to make sure she had the behavior down. She's two and will be three in March. (I need to start looking for a cake recipe now!) But with all the new ideas, I'm grateful to everyone and I'm going to start today. I'll keep you posted on what we achieve. I just don't want to spend more money on trainers that are going to tell me she's a lost cause, b/c then I'm out of more money and still have the behavior. And if it comes down to the wire, I'll just keep her the way she is and avoid those situations altogether.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 1:45pm PST 
She has the behaviors, she is just not 100% on the cues. You just need to bring the behaviors under stimulus control.
[notify]