GO!

The Yellow Dog Project

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 10:40am PST 
That is true, and I think, too, that it seems a lot of people feel they "know" dogs, or have a "special way," or just simply having an "aw, dogs will be dogs!" sort of attitude.

One thing I can tell you....it is DIFFERENT from where it used to be. There has grown to be this peculiar, inappropriate and IMO rather fantastical assumption that dogs don't bite. That there is something "really wrong" if they do. I grew up with a dog who was rather dangerous. Hatteras. In Manhattan. Walked him on streets there, tied him up in front of stores, took him to Central Park. Sorry about that tying in front of stores thing laugh out loud....I was a kid and it was common practice wink At any rate, had things been then as they are now, he never would have made it. People always asked if they could pat....not only that question, but "does he bite?" and I would say yes and that was cool. If we were in the park and another dog came in view, I would call him and the other dog owner would immediately gain control of their pet.

It's just not that way now. Everyone has an opinion, everyone thinks they know something wink

I think too, in addition to these view shifts of dogs biting (which back in my childhood was just accepted as something some dogs do), dog parks have lent to this. Just take doggie to park and let them play....they LOVE that! Going back to my childhood, there was more of a common knowledge that some dogs didn't like others, some were fighters. There was a more innate reference to the owner as to what was what. Now I get "my dog is really friendly!" laugh out loud shrug As if that has anything to do with anything laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '13 10:42am PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 9:18pm PST 
Tiller, I wish people would understand that dogs will be dogs. As you said it's common knowledge that horses may kick, a red ribbon is readily accepted as a warning.
My standard response to people asking ' is your dog friendly?' is 'I can't guarantee that'
They usually go away laugh out loud
[notify]
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 9:55pm PST 
Honestly, any kind of cute/pretty adornment on a dog (ribbons, bandannas, etc.) I generally view as there because you want to draw attention to how cute your dog is. They make a dog look less threatening to me, and I associate them with friendlier dogs. Of course I would ask before petting any dog - that was drilled into me from childhood on and is just good sense - but I generally assume that a dog who is "dressed up" in some way other than a working vest is probably friendly.

Do you know why they settled on yellow? Yellow ribbons already mean support for people in the military (in the US), and it's a reasonably common school team color. My mind would not go in the "aggressive/stay away" direction if I saw a dog with a yellow ribbon on its leash - I would think the owner was decorating in solidarity with something.

"Do Not Pet" patches seem like a better way to go, if you're having a major problem with people approaching an unfriendly dog. thinking
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 10:04pm PST 
in everywhere else if your dog needs space, your dog wears a muzzle. about 99% of people leave you alone if so. wink
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2