GO!

I Am Not A Chew Toy %&**%$

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 9:51pm PST 
I'm sure I've asked for help with this before but save for distraction with bottles to chew...what is the proper reaction to play biting? I'm embarrassed to show my bare arms at work...do I have a habit? Has somebody been hurting me? No, my boy is just so darn happy to see me he gets a bit carried away. I try ignoring him and he jumps at my butt...bruises there too. It's not aggression certainly, he THINKS he's playing, afterwards he'll follow me upstairs and lay in my arms giving me a full lick down...
I can't romp on the floor with him like Sophie and nip him back...how do you teach no teeth if they haven't learned it before?
Funny though because with eating someone taught him really good. When he even takes a grain of rice from your fingers, no teeth at all, ever...so he knows the difference.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 11:54pm PST 
Wow, that sounds painful. I can only imagine what your arms look like with you saying "I am not a chew toy". Have you tried ignoring your dog whenever he would try and approach you to bite?
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 12:11am PST 
Is this only when you come home?

If so, I'd work it like this. Walk through the door, if he jumps up and starts mouthing, turn around, walk back out, close the door. Try entering again, if he does it again, you leave again. Repeat. It may take several tries, but eventually, he should grasp the idea that when he calms down or DOESN'T nip at you, you'll enter the room. Reward when he sits, or behaves calmly. Even ask for a sit after entering, before he can jump on you, if you have the chance.

Hope this helps.. Of course, you would have to do this when you have the time, or make the time to do this and I know for some people, that can be difficult.
[notify]

Indiana

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 5:52am PST 
I agree with Charlie - get him to start sitting when you come in. Indy used to be a big time jumper but now he knows that he gets no love from me when I come home until his butt is on the ground.

The biting sounds awful! Is there another command you can give him when he starts to bite to redirect him? Indy can be very mouthy (although he doesn't use teeth thankfully) and I just give a quick "ah-ah" and then tell him "we give kisses" and he'll lick instead. It's not a huge shift from the mouthing so it didn't take too long to catch on.
[notify]
Piglet

I'm a princess

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 6:18am PST 
Our puppies were able to break skin and draw blood by 5 weeks old,(Piglet got my hubby's ear and petey got my check) So we stopped playing when they would bite and tell them NO. Now instead of biting we get licked.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 6:50am PST 
I hear you and I feel your pain. I will NOT get on the floor anymore and play with Huck. It's not a nipping problem, it's a heavy paw problem. I have gone to work with black eyes, bruised arms and legs and scratches on my face. I have a scar between my nose and lip from him. I was sitting level with him and asked him for his paw and he wacked me right in the face with it. When I tell people my dog did it, I get that look like yeah right.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 11:41am PST 
I have used a plan like Charlie suggested several times now. It works wonderfully but I will warn you the behaviour sometimes gets worse first!

With Maci I made the time in case it took 1/2 hour before I could get in the door. Just knew she was going to be stubborn! The other thing that made a difference with the attention seeking goldens...do not say anything other than your chosen command. Maci loves any kind of attention and even negative stuff would make her a extreme jumping kangeroo. I was not even praising her if she sat, the reward in the beginning was I was coming in the house to stay. Later when she was showing more control and even sitting on her own - I started praise and playing.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 12:17pm PST 
Thank you everybody!!! I'm thinking that "CALLIE SIT" might be the command I have to drive home here. Like I said ignoring n' turning my back to him doesn't seem to work because he just bounces up and nips my butt or elbow. I feel bad for him, the times when I get exasperated and raise my hand he instantly stops and pancakes. That must have been how he was commanded before, I want to find a kinder, gentler way...but get myself healed up too
wooooooof
[notify]
Bryce

blues- are- cool

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 12:25pm PST 
adds a whole new meaning of "love you to death" doesnt it? years ago my great dane would stand beside me with his tail going nuts! left welts on my cheeks and thighs. I was so afraid my co-workers would see that in the locker room and think hubby baet me with a belt.

my collie now is too happy to see me, I cross my arms infront of me and just keep turning my back to him. when he settles, then I hug.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 4:49pm PST 
Thank you Bryce, you give me faith. I know he'll get through this phase. It took a few years of walking Sophie before she stopped pulling me down...same thing, I had band aids on top of band aids for elbows, knees, hands. She still is a strong girl. But as she's gotten older she's slowed down on her own, learned to walk offleash beautifully sometimes, and I got stronger too...she's not so squirrel crazy anymore either.
I know Callie will eventually get his mouthiness under control. We haven't had him a long time and apparently he had a rougher start than Sophie, so it just takes time...rainbowblue dogblue dograinbowmeditate
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2