GO!

Introducting A dog to a new feline- help please

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 8:39pm PST 
Hello!

It looks like I'll be adding to my pack soon. I'm debating adding a furry creature of the non canine kind unless a dog wonders into my life so i have some questions about introducing cats/kittens to dogs.. I was wondering how to best introduce Jake to the new kitten/cat. I use both since I'm not sure how old it will be. Would it be better if it was a kitten even if the cat may be socalized with dogs? Does same sex aggression exist between species like should i get a queen instead of a tom because Jake's a boy?

How do you introduce a dog to a cat that will be living with you? Jake has seen and been around cats before. At my parents home i had to leave behind 3 cats when i moved away for University. He gets along with my male cat okay as in they've sniffed and shared space. When we introduced them then Jake was on a harness but was not muzzled. It was only a few hours on Christmas morning that first time. Since then he's seen them many times over the last year. Would i do the same thing for a cat that will be coming to live with me permenantly?

Next question if all has gone well. When I leave home for work or school should jake be kenneled? or can i leave him out? I live in a small home. Jake is either left in his outdoor kennel or in the house in the day time. Or if i left jake in the house should i put the kitten/cat in the bathroom or in a large kennel? Or can I just leave them out together?

Any other tips or tricks anyone knows about if they have cats and dogs that live together. I'm particularly interested if you have a hound dog.

Thank you in Advance,

Jake's mom.

Edited by author Thu Jan 17, '13 9:28pm PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 9:37pm PST 
It definitely is a good thing that Jake has been around cats before. I've brought alot of cats home over the years both before dog and after dog. I knew a beagle we tried to live with once who was obsessed with chasing cats-but he had never lived with them before...I broke up with his owner soon after so no problems there.
I would say just maybe a babygate or barricade for a week or so, let the cat have a room with food and litter that is dog safe. But still allowing kitty to jump over the top and explore the house as well. You'll probably be pleasantly suprised how quickly they work it out together.
Our cats and dogs all have run of the house and it works for us...some of our cats refuse to be in the same room with the dogs and others will sleep next to the dogs and even lick an ear or paw. They do work it out eventually. Congrats on the new fur baby!
Oh and one important side note-the litter box-many dogs find kitty cigars absolutely yummy, you want the litter box off limits from the dog.
[notify]
Murphy

Why run when you- can hop??!!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 3:06pm PST 
Well I would suggest, and I always do to any new cat owner especially if they have other animals, when you bring home the cat/kitten to set them up in a bathroom with litter box/food/toys/etc for a few days. This way the cat can start getting used to it's new environment & people. Put Jack on a leash and introduce them in the bathroom (I would give the cat a day or two by itself first), this way you can see how the dog reacts to the cat & how the cat reacts to him. Remember that even if the dog might be comfortable with felines, the cat may not be with dogs. I would give the cat several opportunities to explore the house with the dog not around and Ophelia had a good idea of using a baby gate. Our terrier Josh is not the best with cats but we have been able to make it work with supervision and training (the "leave it" command comes in handy), we also make sure the cats have their own space where no dogs are allowed (in our case it is the basement).

I don't think gender matters when it comes to other species. There are pros and cons with getting an adult cat or kitten when you already have a dog. With adult cats they would be able to defend themselves more than a small kitten if they did get in a fight with a dog. However with an adult cat they might be more nervous & scared of an adult dog than a kitten would, and kittens usually do better in new situations than older cat. If you did get an adult I would make sure it has a background with dogs, maybe even look for one that was in a foster home with a dog.

I do think crating him when you aren't home, or putting up the cat, is the best thing. Supervision is your friend especially a new pet.

wishes
[notify]