GO!

Dogs that chew sheets, comforters, pillows...Help!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 5:33pm PST 
I have two dogs - a 3 year old beagle and a 2 year old mix (lab and boston terrier). We have had the lab-mix as a puppy and the beagle since she was about 1 1/2 - 2. The problem we are having is that one or both of them (still not sure which one because we have not caught them in the act) is consistently chewing our sheets and comforters. We did move about 6 months ago and all of a sudden in the past 2 months they have chewed at least 3 sets of sheets (little holes in the sheets - both fitted and flat) and 2 comforters. This is sometimes happening when they are alone for only about 1-2 hours.

We have no idea what has happened to make this behavior come on and are just looking for tips to stop it and correct it!!

Thanks for all the help!!!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 7:36pm PST 
If my dogs were chewing my bedding to pieces when I left,I really wouldn't be worrying which one was doing it. both would be crated in separate crates everytime I left until I was sure I could begin to trust them by trying one at a time for short periods,then progressing to longer times,if the chewing started again they would go back in the crate and that would be the way things were while I was gone. Good Luck.
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 7:39pm PST 
I would do what the above poster suggested but if you don't have a crate I would gate off their access to the room or close the door so they can't get to the sheets and pillows. way to go
[notify]

Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 11:08am PST 
I agree with both posts. Commom sense would tell someone to keep the bedroom door closed and off limits to the dogs. Dog knows when I'm not home Huck & Ringo are off limits to most of the house.
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 3:39am PST 
Supervise them so they don't have the opportunity to chew things they shouldn't chew. When you can't supervise them, put them in crates. Make sure you give them plenty of appropriate chew toys and praise them and reward them with yummy treats when they chew on those toys.
[notify]