GO!

They Know!?!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 6:25am PST 
Alright, so my boyfriend, Cobain, Rigby, and I have been living in this apartment for about 3 months now.

We live in a relatively small building. There are 2 units on the ground floor, one next to the front door and then ours.
Ours borders the wall adjacent to the front door, with our door down the hall a bit. So you can't see the front door from our apartment, but you can hear people.

But the thing is, even with people coming and going all day, the dogs know when it's either me or him.
I don't have an entirely set schedule with work, and school is different every day.
He was supposed to have a set schedule but people call in sick all the time and other issues which cause his schedule to be different from day to day.

Yesterday, I was home for a few hours before he got home, and wasn't sure when he would be getting home. I heard a few people coming inside/leaving and the dogs didn't so much as raise their ears.
The all of the sudden, before I even heard the door open, Rigby started barking and getting excited, I couldn't calm her down. Cobain joined in as soon as he and I both heard the front door.
A few seconds later our door open and my boyfriend was home. shrug

I mean, I knew Rig's ears had to be stronger and everything...but wow I didn't think they'd have it down to recognizing footsteps! thinking
Unless there's something I'm missing here?

Edited by author Tue Jan 15, '13 8:12am PST

[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 8:41am PST 
They also recognised a familiar scent so they knew who was approaching?

Edited by author Tue Jan 15, '13 8:47am PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 9:12am PST 
With our menagerie I think it's a chain reaction. We have two or three cats that guard the front yard laugh out loudWhen our cars come down the street you can see furry streaks running to the front of the house. The dogs must hear the car coming and see cats leaping onto the porch...then they probably know the sound of the car door and footsteps on the sidewalk. Amazing ain't it??? blue dogblue dogkittykittykitty
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 9:17am PST 
the dogs know when my mom or i come home. They will stand by the door and wiggle their whole bodies!! big laugh
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 10:03am PST 
The scent isn't something I really thought of.
We've got 2 security doors plus our apartment door, a hallway, and some elderly people who are constantly cooking something delicious smelling laugh out loud

But that does make sense. I seem to forget that their sense of smell is so much more acute than ours

Edit:
Our car is seldom used, both our works are walking distance and my school provides a bus pass so I don't have to pay the $800 for parking shrug
I have noticed though that Cobain will peek out the window when I decide to park in visitors

Edited by author Tue Jan 15, '13 10:07am PST

[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 11:14am PST 
It's strange but cool how they always seem to know! smile

I had a friend with a GSD who hated strangers, and IF a stranger knocked on the door, God help them, that dog would go off in a barking fit!

But I managed to form somewhat of a bond with him, and after that if I showed up at any given point and time he always knew it was me. Even if my friend didn't know I was showing up.

I knocked on the door once late at night trying to startle him, and he answered and said "I knew it was you." I asked how, and he said "Because [my dog] didn't go insane." laugh out loud
But it's been almost 3 years since we've seen each other at this point. If I came knocking on the door now he (the dog, I mean) probably wouldn't remember me.

Ava and Nix always know when my fiance has come home too. Ava will get really really excited and start barking until he comes through the door. They do the same thing when it's me coming home from work too. I figure they must know the footsteps... or in my case they can probably hear my big ol' van rolling down the street before I even park. laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Jan 15, '13 11:21am PST

[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 12:27pm PST 
Be fun to try after 3 yrs... I would bet that the GSD would remember laugh out loud
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 3:26pm PST 
laugh out loud That would be too funny.
I bet he would remember too!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 6:57pm PST 
If anyone comes near our house, JT's little episodes are impressive ... well worth watching if you have some spare time and a nice packet of crisps to eat.

Except when we come home. In the car, understandable ... he knows the sound. But when I return from the shops on foot? Sneak around the window so he can't see me, and creep around the house?

Not a peep.The dog knows it's me. Can't be fooled. Footsteps, scent or a damned sixth sense. He'll be sitting by the door with a wide smile and a wagging tail. Same if I come to pick him up from my mother's. He'll be perking up five minutes before I even arrive.

Dogs know. Dogs who are bonded to you, anyway. They can feel it. It's something I've just come to accept. laugh out loud
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 7:22pm PST 
Yes,they know. My daughter has changed vehicles,my sister and friends have dropped by unannounced,hubby has come home early and been forced to park down the block,and Mika and Kai are not fooled. Since leaving her home 3 years ago Kai has seen his breeder twice. For as stranger wary as he can be he still greets her like an old and trusted friend.He has seen her once when we on the spur of the moment stopped by her home after being at the vet,and once when we unexpectedly ran into her at the vet.Even Mika adores her and behaves like she is an old friend and seen everyday. I do know they recognize the rythm of footsteps,I would think their sense of smell is also sharp enough to smell from a much greater distance than we can imagine,but yes,they know when the people they love and enjoy are on their way.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3