GO!

loose leash

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 8:50pm PST 
O.k so I know people are forever talking about and/or asking how to train your dog to walk on a loose leash, but what do you do when you have been doing it the way everybody says to for a month straight with no success?
Lexus is very smart and has caught on to everything very quickly in all other training..........EXCEPT loose leash walking. I dont know what to do....i mean the obvious just to keep consistent, but with no progress at all in all this time, it even seems worse now then when she first arrived. She pulls like crazy....so much she ends up hopping on her hind legs cause the leash and harness are so tight with her trying to run. I have been the "tree" I have changed directions, treats in hand, lots of praise if and when by chance the leash goes loose for a second. Everything I have been told i have done, so if anybody has any tips or tricks or something i would really appreciate your advice, thanks in advance way to go
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 9:53pm PST 
Have you tried a no pull harness? That helped me a lot, I got a back clip one called a kumfi stop pull, it really calmed the running behavior down.

My dog will not take food on a walk because the environment is too reinforcing so I use something called the premack principle, basically using the environment to reward, there are loads of videos on it on you tube.

Are you free shaping a loose lead at home with no distractions ... luring the dog up and down the hallway with food for example, to teach position? You can do these lessons every day when you have time, it helps.

I also exercise my dog BEFORE the walk to get some of his pulling crazies out before we go out.

Hang in there, it will get better, it can just take a while with a pully breed.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 3:47am PST 
Lexus, it sounds like you have been trying to combine a LOT of different methods.

As has my best Method for LLW on his page:

http://www.dogster.com/video/418007/loose_leash_walking

and I would second a No Pull harness. It will not teach your dog to walk nicely on a leash, but it will manage the behavior while Lexus learns.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 4:46am PST 
I'm with Asher on this one... too many different methods in a short time.
I can clearly remember my training my first lab to heel over 40 years ago... it took over a month, working on it EVERY DAY, but finally, one day she got it and never looked back!
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 5:24am PST 
BTW, Luring, Freeshaping (ie capturing) and Shaping are two different things. I don't rely on a lure when teaching LLW because I find people are not always really good at fading the lure and wind up dependent on food. I shape LLW (and I can easily use my method to up the criteria to a true heel). If you are shaping for position, then walking nicely will not depend on the leash.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 5:58am PST 
O.k thanks guys.
Yes you are right, I am guilty and probably confusing the poor thing by trying different methods, the "tree" one is the one i use most though except when I do this her leash tension never lets up cause she wants to go go go. I dont so much mind if she is in the heel position or not, because I allow Mika to walk ahead of me, but not pulling and I taught her with great success. She is a pleasure to walk......for the most part unless a squirrel or cat happens by BOL!!
Jackson I will have to try doing leash work in my house, I have not done that yet so thats a new idea thank you.
Asher and Toto, thank you also, the video was great, I will keep at it, I know she will get there, I think I may have to go back to walking them separately, I really wanted to walk them together but I think it would be best if I kept them separate on walks so I can focus on training her.
[notify]