GO!

Ceaser or Victoria?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 6 of 7: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
D'artagnan

I'm not lazy,- I'm just waiting- to play..

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 9:06pm PST 
"If I'm not mistaken, Stilwell was an actress, then a dog walker"
This plus not owning dogs kinda just lost my like of Victoria. She does great on her show with training the dogs but that's just sketchy. Tiller, in the interview I watched yesterday, Cesar has five of his own dogs, although I think he had ten family dogs when he was married. According to the recent Cesar documentary too (and a supposed newspaper article), he was essentially found because he would walk a pack of 20 dogs off leash, all following him, to a store and back to get them all RMBs....training styles aside, I would take that over someone that doesn't even have a dog.

To the original question, TV show ? Cesar Milan hands down. There is nothing more amazing than watching him control a dog from a distance that he has never touched or talked to ( if you take the editing as truth). As a training guide and someone to follow? I would say Victoria. Her steps are easy and simple to learn for everyone. They are also more positive and more forgiving if you make a mistake. Cesar is more instinctual and is slightly different with every dog.

I myself am a mix of both. For basic training and tricks it has all been positive reward training. But I have learned a lot of ways from Cesar to communicate with Dar that didn't require traditional training (and it didn't require any touches either). Also, while I have really only read one book of Susan Clothier I feel like she has a similarity to Cesar but goes about it in a more positive way....difficult to explain what I mean but she would be someone to look into.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 9:41pm PST 
If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Jackson Galaxy from My Cat from Hell. lol.

As for Ceasar and Victoria, I couldn't care much for either of them.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 9:50pm PST 
I love Jackson Galaxy. Lol. He needs to come help me stop my cat from chewing up my flip flops. I thought dogs were supposed to have that problem but it's my cat.

Edited by moderator Tue Jan 22, '13 4:01pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 11:25pm PST 
Lol Sarge I seem to have issues with my cat acting more like a dog than a cat as well...she will eat anything and EVERYTHING lol
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 11:37pm PST 
Geez...JT you did nothing wrong.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 6:19am PST 
Sounds like VS has really changed since her UK episodes! And yes, she'd never owned a dog until fairly recently really. She writes a monthly article for a dog magazine i get and she still seems to speak a great deal of sense.

Although like Titus, i'm more a fan of Dunbar and i like Grisha Stewart too.
[notify]
Sawyer- *ADOPTED*

Shy Boy

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 7:00am PST 
Unfortunately, pretty much all training shows on TV are more for entertainment than education. I watch both "Dog Whisperer" and "It's Me of the Dog" whenever I can. If I had to choose one of them to help me train my dogs, it would be Victoria over Cesar. Her methods jive better with what I believe in and my training philosophy.

I miss Patricia McConnell's show. I remember watching it all the time when I was younger. I wish it were on now; I bet I'd get a lot more out of it. smile
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 7:32am PST 
My comment about Victoria Stilwell wasn't intended as a dig at her - most trainers were *something* before they were trainers and she IS a certified trainer and member of the APDT... Just that her background in acting/television probably helped her get her first show.
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 12:25pm PST 
Patricia McConnell had a show?!?! Dang—are there ever re-runs? I was probably born a decade too late.

Cesar or Victoria . . . don't like either of them, really. Cesar makes me nervous because I see how anxious the dogs are, and Victoria makes me nervous because I see how anxious the people are. Plus she yells and has a very high-pitced voice, which is rather irritating in and of itself. Either way, I don't think TV shows about dogs with aggression/serious behavior issues are worth the watching, unless it's going to actually be a seminar-type thing, long and unedited, showing the whole process, with plenty of commentary from the trainer, so we can actually glean some information from it. But, as Tiller pointed out, probably only horse people would watch it laugh out loud
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 5:38pm PST 
I miss Good Dog U. If we're talking about being calm, that guy was the definition of it.

This guy.

Edited by author Sun Jan 20, '13 5:41pm PST

[notify]
(Page 6 of 7: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7