GO!

Ceaser or Victoria?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 4 of 7: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 6:16am PST 
I've been having the opposite problem to Demon's, funnily enough. I've reinforced the hell out of recall to smart sit in front but neglected the heel position badly. It's a hot mess now. laugh out loud To toss my head and get him to snap into it would be wonderful. I'm creeping all around the dog like an idiot trying to position him and jackpot the position. Lucky I don't compete, it would be hilarious even in novice rally. We'd be spinning all around each other like nut jobs.

I always thought you used NRMs, I must have been thinking of someone else. Too many posters, too many threads running into one another, I think!
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 6:50am PST 
I know, JT. And I am not saying I DON'T use NRM's, just that I try not to do so. I am human. I make mistakes (and say things like "Try again" or "Ooops"), but I try very hard not to. One thing Demon taught me is that my constant yammering can get in the way of his learning :-(, so I make an effort to be quieter when I train and let the dog figure it out.

Have you done any perch work? I did not with any of my dogs to date (other than just messing around) and Demon's snazzy little hop into heel is just something he did a few times and I reinforced like crazy, but I certainly plan to do perchwork with Duncan so that by the time I can get my schipperke puppy (delayed due to Duncan's issues making HIM unadoptable and now mine) I will have gotten all the bugs out of my teaching methods.

They all bring us to a new level, don't they? Ash had really sloppy sits and downs and his heel was loose because I did not know as much then and never felt like cleaning it up. Demon is much more precise. Duncan will take me into Comp OB and agility and I will make a whole new set of mistakes while we learn together.

Why don't you compete? No desire? you should consider it. I am sure you could get where you want to be.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:19pm PST 
Comp OB, eh? Moving up in the world!

No rally around here (I'm in rural Australia)..There is a club that teaches OB the 'modern gentle Australian method' which is luring to hand signal and command on a leash and flat collar. But I don't like the classes.They're done in a park where loose dogs are running about and kids are playing and people are jogging, there's an audience who pays to watch, and you have to hold your leash the whole time in case your dog breaks focus. It's too much for me and too much for JT. I bought the training book and started training the CDX requirements but it is very precise and a bit beyond my skills and this dog's interest level. They do agility the same way. It gets a bit crazy.

JT might enjoy rally. If we had that available, if it was trained in a secure hall, I might consider it. It would be good for his focus if nothing else. But he really just wants to walk on his leash and play with his ball at this stage in his life so I'm not overly fussed. He enjoys the training and that's enough, it's good practice for me anyway.

What do you mean by perch work? Training the dog to sit on a platform on command? Sorry, I don't know a lot of the terms, I don't hang out with dog folk in real life. laugh out loud
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 7:43am PST 
Jackson,

perch work

way to go
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 7:52pm PST 
Cheers Mulder!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 4:52am PST 
JT, have you considered Cyber Rally:

http://cyberrally-o.com/
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:11pm PST 
Wow, what a weird thing. I had no idea that even existed.Something to think about for sure. Thanks Ash.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 6:18am PST 
Sorry, JT, I was sincerely trying to suggest something you might enjoy doing with your dog, especially since here are no trials close to you. I did not realize you would feel that it was like "your paying for titles, but the playing field is so, so different, it almost feels like a cheat. Any dog can give a killer performance at home, with no distractions.

Again, it is really NOT a cheat because it is not always about the title, but about the journey to the title.

I value Asher's title and champion certificates and ribbons greatly now that he is gone. I plan to have most of his placement and Q ribbons made into a quilt eventually, just another small way for me to memorialize him and the huge influence he had in my life. Every moment we spent together was so important to me and I am glad that there is something somewhere that permanent;y records the fact that, as the poem says:

"in a world of disposable creatures,
this...
Dog with a Title
was greatly Loved,
and
Loved Greatly in Return".

That pretty much sums up what are titles and championships mean to me.

Edited by author Tue Jan 29, '13 4:14pm PST

Approved by forums moderator
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 10:13am PST 
^^ What?? ^^
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 10:29am PST 
Titus and Zephyr, see the latest rally thread in the Sports & Agility Forum.
[notify]
(Page 4 of 7: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7