GO!

Is it nothing .. ?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 9:10am PST 
Heaven forbid we actually correct bad behavior! Sounds like parenting going on today! Ie..."*gasp* Don't tell him no! You'll hurt his self-esteem! You're such a horrible person if you don't let him have his way!" Nare was simply telling the pup "no", doesn't sound like he actually tried to bite him at all. I highly dislike it when people overreact like that...and obviously don't know dog behavior at all.meditate
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 9:46am PST 
Silly humans, don't take it personally, Nare did the right thingcheer
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 12:58pm PST 
Thank you all.
I guess the whole situation made me feel really pressured.
It is quite often that people don't see the whole story, and more often people who do not understand what is going on and the tolerance of other dogs.
If he had known the pup I'm sure things would've been different, but I'm not going to make him like strange dogs.

I think maybe we'll avoid the Saturday shopping rush from now on. laugh out loud
[notify]

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 2:05pm PST 
Oh gosh, don't feel bad at all! A while back Nix gave a warning growl to a rude 6 month old Labradoodle at Petco. Thankfully the trainer there had a good head on her shoulders and politely asked the owner to not allow her puppy to harass other dogs, as some dogs don't like puppies getting all up in their face. ...The lady had no idea, but thankfully removed him from Nix's face before things got any worse.

And then, not too long ago, someone came in to work with a story that her cat was being mean to the new kitten. We explained that just like human babies, baby animals can be annoying to adult animals, and it's normal that he would be swatting at the kitten who's chasing him around and trying to play with him when he doesn't want to play, etc. and as long as there isn't any blood or actual fights, just let them work it out themselves, because the kitten needs to learn boundaries, y'know? ...The lady was just horrified and said "But it's just a baby!"

...I really had to stop myself from laughing at her nonsense when I tried to explain that animals don't have the same social etiquette that we do when it comes to teaching our children boundaries. Some people just don't get it... shrug

Edited by author Mon Jan 14, '13 2:07pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2