GO!

Is it nothing .. ?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 11:31pm PST 
Today at Petsmart a great dane puppy was staring and barking at Nare, scrambling to get to him with what leash he had.
I could tell the pup was making Nare nervous, so we were starting to move away and the lady with the pup gives him more slack and he bounces right into Nare's face, and then she pulls her dog back off of Nare and he makes an air snap at the pup.

The people that saw it kind of gasped and looked at him like he was a monster, then a Petsmart Trainer asks if hes friendly, as tons of other dogs walk by without him reacting!

There was no snarl, growl, teeth, but they acted like he tried to maul the pup.

It made me pretty self conscious, even though I know it was no fault of Nare's. If he were truly trying to hurt the pup why would he wait until it was 5 feet away again to do the snap, especially with a loose lead ?

Thoughts ?
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:31am PST 
So, let's see if I am getting this right....

Untrained Great Dane pup acting inappropriately and trying to go "say hi"
Your dog being a trained adult has no interest.
Owner of the Dane doesn't ask, and just lets the pup have more leash to get to your dog.
Your dog gives a warning snap.
Then you're the bad guy?

The general public seems to think that all dogs should be happy and lovey at all times regardless of the situation. Sort of the same with children who get bit after teasing dogs. Honestly, I wouldn't let it worry you.
Cobain isn't much of a fan of puppies either, especially ones he doesn't know.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:32am PST 
Sounds like the person with the pup could use a dose of brains.naughty I wouldn't worry, maybe Nair was telling the pup what he could have done to a bad mannered puppy getting into his face.

Who knows about the trainer, I have heard that there is a wide variety of experience with pets-mart trainers, you may have met up with a sorry excuse for a dog trainer. naughty

hug
dog walk
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:40am PST 
Sounds like another Dane that will be surrendered between 12-18 monthsfrown

Nare did nothing wrong and have I mentioned that people irritate me?
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 8:11am PST 
Ugh! Don't let it make you feel bad . .. . not too many dogs want a rude bounding big puppy in their space . .. . some people are clueless and rude with letting their dogs get up in everybody's space in public places like the pet store.

Nare showed good self-control, he expressed his opinion in the form of a warning with no intention to cause harm, but people who don't know about dog behavior don't appreciate the subtle differences in dog communication.

That's kind of another pet peeve of mine, on walks where strangers with overly exuberant dogs who are straining at their leashes upon seeing your dog coming, ask if their dogs can meet yours, with that cheerful, "oh he's friendly, can they meet?"

Gus is friendly, but she's leery of meeting strange esp. bigger dogs while walking on leash with that kind of over eager energy--it makes her a bit nervous, which I think is quite understandable. And the stranger that thinks all dogs need to meet just walking down the street kinda makes me dubious too.

So I just blow them off and say, oh she's kinda nervous and give them a wide berth and keep going . . .. sorry for going a little off topic on your thread . ..wink
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 12:02pm PST 
I agree that neither you, nor Nare were at fault, nor the bad guy in this situation. Nare was telling off an exuberant, rude puppy with no manners, that he didn't appreciate him behaving that way. Charlie would have done the exact same thing.

I don't understand why people seem to think ALL dogs NEED to like one another and tolerate rude behavior!

Charlie doesn't like my moms male Rottweiler, Grizz. My family doesn't seem to understand this, and that this isn't necessarily a BAD thing, s'long as it doesn't mean Charlie goes starting crap with Grizz. I just keep them separate anyway just to prevent anything from happening, because it's not worth the risk. My grandmother and aunt think I'm cruel. thinking
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 8:50pm PST 
Like Charlie said not every dog has to like every dog. Kashmir does not like dogs getting in her face. When we go to the mall every one thinks their dog should say hi to her. I politely tell them that she doesnt want to say hi and most will take that. Some people insist and i have to tell them she will bite your dog so go away. Dont take it personal it wasnt your fault!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 10:42pm PST 
Agree with Gus that it was probably a case of people misreading what was going on. Most of them were probably under the impression that Nare tried to attack the puppy for being an exuberant puppy, instead of seeing his snap as a controlled warning. Not your fault, and I wouldn't let it bother you.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 5:02am PST 
I agree with so many others. Angel is the ideal little girl. We use her as the distraction dog in the CGC test for a reason, she just does not care. The dogs can be straining to get to her, barking at her, and she just walks along with mommy, doing her job, being her sweet little self. But she does NOT want those dogs in her face. And she will snarl at them if they make face to face contact.

The owner of the other dog was being rude (as was the dog). Your dog simply said "Leave me alone".
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 5:14am PST 
I agree as others said, it was not your fault or Nare's fault. No worries, I would say the person and the Dane were the ones who were being rude.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2