GO!

Friends dog considers me as "Alpha?"

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 1:36am PST 
I don't really understand how this could be possible but my friend thinks it is. Just wondering how this might have happened and what I can do about it? I understand how it works but my friend should be considered the alpha since I don't even live there.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 3:28am PST 
Your friend watches too much TV. big laugh The Alpha thing was disproved a long time ago.

Wolf packs are family groups, Alpha would be mom and dad. BOL, the Alpha thing is quite descriptive of horse herds though. laugh out loud

dog walk
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 7:37am PST 
Sounds like her dog defers to you, and she thinks it has something to do with being 'alpha'. Not at all, really. You may have a certain assertive, authoritive nature about you that causes the dog to behave(how DOES she behave that your friend assumes that anyway?) that way around you, but ultimately, I have to agree with Fritz. Your friend watches too much tv.

My friend thinks Charlie is being 'alpha' over me when he leans on me for pets. big laugh

Granted, she also believes in alpha bunnies. wink
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 9:21am PST 
The yappy, beserk or fearful dogs we see very often have wishy-washy owners. I frequently have completely strange dogs respond to me rather then their own people. Its all about confidence and demeanor. In Koehlers training manual he says that uncertain handling creates uncertain dogs and he's right. Often dogs that are raised without clear direction will gravitate to people who provide that direction instinctively.
Fritz horses, funny everyone talks about herd stallions but no one ever mentions the marelaugh out loud
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 10:18am PST 
I'm curious to know what her dog does around you to make her say that.

Some behaviors that can be submissive, can also be caused by excitement. Maybe her dog just likes you?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 4:17pm PST 
I'm with Sabs (and Koehler) on this one. In fact, I demonstrate this in my obedience classes by "borrowing" dogs from their owners and having them observe how the dogs respond to my calm and positive requests vs. their all over the place requests. Makes a GREAT demo and really helps those insecure owners.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 9:32pm PST 
Yes, what exactly does the dog do around you as compared to what he does when he's around her? Maybe you do exude that authoritative figure towards the dog.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 8:40pm PST 
It's the way her dog responds when I give a command. Instead of hesitating so much she immediately responds to what I want. With my friend, she does respond, but it's after hesitating & glaring at my friend, or several commands. She used to beg me for food when I'd eat my lunch...my room mate and I don't allow our dogs to beg, so I won't have it from another dog lol.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 8:43pm PST 
I didnt know bunnies could be "alpha" over someone! big laughthinking
[notify]