GO!

Analee is getting sassy, what do I do?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Cooper

Coopiepoo!!!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 9:19am PST 
Is she unaltered by chance?

This sounds like typical "in heat" attitude to me......

If that's not what it is please don't meet her defiance with aggression or force in an attempt to get her to comply. This has nothing to do with pack order. Something in her experience has led her to dislike the basement....whether it be the difference in temps, and uncomfy bed, the cats, the noise of a utility room, the difference in flooring or whatever. She certainly shouldn't be punished for the fact that she obviously doesn't like it and doesn't want to be down there.

Leashing her up and forcing her to go despite her feelings isn't going to do anything to change her mind.

I'd encourage her to follow if I really cared for her to join me, but otherwise I'd just drop it.

If she's showing aggression on the bed simply prevent her from being up there by closing the bedroom door. I'm sure that leashing her and forcing her compliance is what's led to that desperate response and once you start considering why she feels so strongly you'll better understand why she might have a reason to.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 9:50am PST 
When Lupi was around 2, she suddenly started sleeping downstairs instead of in her bed upstairs, with us. I think she was just feeling a bit of new-found independence. I didn't force her to come upstairs with us, and after a week or so she returned to her regular bed and has never done it again.

Recently, she refused to do the stairs on her own, demanding to be carried. Since she's small enough, I simply complied and after 3 days, she started doing the stairs on her own again. I think she either wasn't feeling well, or had a scare.

The point is, when my dog refuses to do something she normally has no issue with, I don't press the issue. I figure she has her reasons, and deserves a bit of choice in the matter. If it's crucial for her to follow you downstairs, then it's a different story. But if she'd prefer being upstairs-could you just let her hang out there?
[notify]
Annalee

How could they- leave me in a- snowbank?

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 8:31am PST 
To answer the question a couple people asked (and I should have said this up front), Annalee is spayed.

There has never been an "incident" that would cause her to suddenly not like the basement. My Mancave doubles as an art studio, finished basement, warm and cozy, Annalee enjoys sleeping on the couch down here, she has toys and a water dish and all the same comforts of being upstairs. For 2 years she's happily followed me down here to hang out with me.

When she isn't down here with me, she hangs out on our bed in the master bedroom upstairs, or with my wife in her office upstairs.

This inquiry wasn't so much me asking "Should my dog have to follow me when I tell her to".
I was asking "When my dog displays her fangs and growls at me for attempting to put her lead on her, how do I respond."

Thanks again for the responses.

Dogster is the best dog site!

Edited by author Tue Jan 15, '13 8:47am PST

[notify]

Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 8:47am PST 
Maci 'challenges' me (and only me) over the bed all the time. It is the only thing she resource guards.

What Tiller and others suggested worked the best. She had a leash on all the time and if she growled when I came near the bed, I would take the leash and move her off. All without saying a word. And she would have to sit or down stay until I was ready for her to go back on. She still tries a few times a month, but now I can just say off and she goes.

Starting Nothing in life for Free with Maci when she was 2 was a godsend too! Got to love girl dogs! wink
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 6:17am PST 
Create a least rewarding scenario. If she growls, give a second (so as not to reinforce the growling) and ask her to do something she loves to do that CAN be rewarded.

For example, you ask her to get off the bed. She refuses to comply and growls. Wait. Then ask for a hand target (that has been previously taught and heavily reinforced). Win/win.

In fact, ask for the hand target in the first place rather than for something that has caused her to growl before.

I know that when I first got Ash, moving him from point A to point B physically would create a confrontational situation. He liked to hide under tables and beds and would not come out. trying to GET him out could result in a bite.

I classically conditioned his name with a game we (at Great Companions) call Stuff-a-dog and taught him a hand target. Within 3 days of doing my "homework" with Ash (which was all fun), I could call him out from under anything and move him from A to B with a hand target. No need for confrontation or forcing him to do anything at all.

Ask her once, and if she doesn't comply then without drama just pick the lead up and lead her down. That just puts an end to the contest of wills right there, without really escalating the tension.

BTW, that does not put an end to the contest of wills. You would just be forcing your dog to do something she was not willing to do on her own. Personally, I prefer to teach without the use of force.

As to the vet, did you do a CBC or a SNAP?

Edited by author Wed Jan 16, '13 6:20am PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2