GO!

Listening to one parent not the other

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Zoey

love my family- but strangers- beware

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:28pm PST 
I have a GSD that is almost 3 now. I always took her to training classes and when she was young she always listened to me not my husband. Fast forward a little and she quit listening to me at all. Now happier for me she listens to me now for all commands, comes when called but she won't listen to my husband at all. Any suggestions why this might be happening? Our other GSD through her hyperactivity listens pretty well to both of us.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 12:21am PST 
Have you noticed her acting all alpha around your husband? There are dogs who wouldn't listen to someone if they consider that someone their subordinate. However, men are usually considered alpha by dogs while women are the betas. Kids below puberty are considered their subordinates while kids past puberty are omegas.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 3:43am PST 
Guest, Alpha theory was disproved years ago and dogs don't judge people on age and sex. Alpha theory is a lot like a horse heard and even though there is always a mare in charge in a herd, not even horses judge which people to listen to by sex. shrug

Curious about your dog changing who she will listen to. Has the person who feeds and walks her changed? Something in your life style?

I am sure some change you'all have made is what caused her to change.
[notify]

Zoey

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 5:34am PST 
Nothing about our routine had changed at all. We all feed them and let them out and walk them. They listen to my son who is 14 pretty well also but he went through training with us and is pretty good about commands and sticking to them. I can't think of anything that has changed that would cause her to behavior.
[notify]
Ezra

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 6:10am PST 
She listens to people who have gone to classes with her and built up a relationship including training? Can your husband take her through a class?
[notify]
Zoey

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 3:25pm PST 
Her classes are way over she took them when she was younger. At that time she listened to me then quit and only listened to him. She now does not listen to him and but listens to me. I don't think it has anything to do with the classes that was a couple of years ago. We all work with them on commands I probably always have more than anyone. It is the back and forth in who she listens to that I question.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 8:46pm PST 
Funny, could it be something in the environment, a tone in your voice that is hard to hear......I am sure there is a good reason, even if it is a reason that only makes sense to your dog.
[notify]