GO!

Teaching how to bark

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 9:00pm PST 
Oops. Forgot to finish the title. How to bark on command.

I know this subject has been covered before but it didn't apply to me at the time, but now I'd like to know.
How do you get a dog to bark on command?

Moose isn't a barker unless he hears something at 3 in the morning that triggers his need to bark and it's a super deep bark. But not at a time to capture it.
Well, he does bark when we play, but it's not deep, it's higher pitched. How do I capture that bark while we're playing?

The reason I'm interested in this now, is about 10 minutes ago someone, I assume a solicitor of some kind, knocked on my front door. It's 8:30 at night, dark and I am not going to open my door. I never do unless I'm expecting someone.

When the person knocked Moose looked over towards the door. The person knocked again 30 seconds later and Moose stood up this time, looking at the door and whining. (he knows a knock means visitors).
Quietly I was encouraging him to bark by growling and barking to Moose hoping he'd bark back. Don't know why I thought that would make him bark, but I really wanted the person on the other side of the door to hear that I've got a big 'ol dog.

Edited by author Wed Jan 9, '13 9:01pm PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:48am PST 
Do you want it on command or just want him to bark at the door? If it's at the door I can send Jewel over to teach him. She barks even when she's seen the person coming up the walk and knows who it is! laugh out loud
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 9:22am PST 
laugh out loud, thanks but no thanks on your offer.

I guess I'd like Moose to bark at knocks at the door, ideally.

My fear is that he'd become a barking maniac and I assume putting it on command would help avoid that. But, at the same time, a good bark when I'm not home when somone knocks at the door would be great.
[notify]

Indiana

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 9:41am PST 
If you want him to bark at knocks on the door it really might be as simple as having him around another dog that does it. Indy will bark at doorbells on TV - we don't have a doorbell, never have, but my mom has one and her dogs bark at it so he's picked it up from when we go over there.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 12:33am PST 
I had a laugh reading your explanation about the post title being unfinished. Anyway, I agree with the last poster here about having your dog around another dog that barks.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 6:38am PST 
See?? I'll send the little spitfire over. big grin
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 4:58pm PST 
I taught Alva and Netta to bark by frustrating them. With Netta I repeated 'say it, sayit, say it!' in my command tone. She didn't understand what I wanted, off course, and got frustrated. She started to bark (I knew she would because that had happened before but unintended). With Alva I did the same, I think, but I may have teased her with a toy -> bark. The tone of Netta's bark on command changed into less frustrated after she had learned the trick.

Netta barks on command (video)
[notify]