GO!

Small children and dogs unsupervised. Rant.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 7:34pm PST 
Never. I too hate seeing pics or videos of kids crawling all over dogs. That cute little scene could turn ugly in a split second.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:01pm PST 
I am glad someone finally brought this up. All to much I have heard people say they trust their dogs 100 percent with their kids and wouldn't think twice about leaving their toddlers and babies alone with them. I have 2 Huskies and even when I go in the kitchen to make dinner or whatever the case may be I have the dogs with me not with my 2 year old in the living room. I have had people ask why I do that and it is not that I think my dogs would ever hurt my baby but I simply am not willing to risk that on both sides. Things happen....it sucks but they do and there are ways to prevent it by taking these precautions. My pups love my baby and vice versa and I do trust them but why take the risk? I love them all to much!
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 3:56pm PST 
Never. Just, no. Period.
[notify]

Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 4:34pm PST 
I think a lot of dog bites occur, not from fearful or unfriendly dogs, but from the dogs that are awesome with kids 99% of the time.

People get lazy, thinking that since their dog "is so great with kids and lets them crawl all over her" they don't need to supervise. The poor dog gets pushed to the limit on an off-day, figures no one else seems to be able to discipline these kids, so she has to do it herself, and finally snaps. Then no one can figure out what went wrong.

The things kids come up with sometimes...my nephew went through a stage where he would NOT stop trying to bite Lupi's snout. It's just not worth risking something horrible happening.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 5:14pm PST 
I have to say when I had my Dane, although I supervised there were moments when she was alone with my son. Because as he was toddling around SHE followed him. Now I am a sane, intelligent woman(mostly sane)laugh out loudI know it's a bad idea, and I get the multiple reasons why it is. However, if the dog is actively trying to stay as close as possible to a child thenshrug
Sabi, likewise will go out of her way to seek out children with or without my consent. And the husky cross my parents owned slept under my crib(and would growl at my mother for coming into the room), in fact I have pics of me as a child sleeping curled up with a Dob and we had some shaggy old mutt running around whose job was to supervise us kids.
Would I walk out and leave a dog with a small child? Not a chance.
[notify]
Zoey

oops theres a- wall there!

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 8:28pm PST 
I have two dogs and I've watched both of them interact with my children (2 and 5) personally I would never leave my 2 year unsupervised but thats cause I don't trust her!! She'd have the house flipped over and something in her mouth. But that's not the point here laugh out loud Zoey gets along great with children, I would never leave her alone with a child though cause she does have her moments when she gets alittle too "playful" when they run back and forth, and Tinker is a quite old lady of a dog she's the calmest most loving dog ever and usually sleeps all day. But since she is so old her hips do hurt her and my 2 year old doesnt understand that she can't sit on the dog. So no.. wouldn't leave either of my dogs alone with a child. The most alone time they get together is when I run to the kitchen to grab something.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 10:29pm PST 
I recall an incident of particular idiocy on my mothers part a couple years back when we had the household of five dogs(one female Bull Mastiff, two female Rottweilers, one male Rottweiler and Charlie). The Bull Mastiff didn't get along with the female Rottweilers, so we did rotation, which was alright. In fact, the Bull Mastiff was the BEST with kids I've ever seen. Total nanny dog. She was the dog following children around with a lolling tongue and windmill tail, HAPPY to follow them around and get attention from them. She LOVED babies and small children. When my youngest sister was a baby, if she cried, Kia would keep her eye on the person who would pick her up. She wouldn't let strangers near the baby, and ADORED my cousin who was five and frequently babysat by my mother.

Anyway... One day, she allowed my cousin Connor to go play in our massive backyard on the trampoline. And didn't supervise for a moment. He had a shirt or a flag or something in his hand and it wasn't Kia outside, it was the Rottweilers. Regan went to snatch at what she presumed was a tug toy, and jumped ON Connor to get it. He was knocked to the ground instantly, as Regan tried to get the toy from him. Smart little boy rolled over onto his stomach, covered his head and screamed for my mom, who came running. Of course, Maya took it as a threat from Regan and attacked, and the two got into a fight OVER TOP of this five year old little boy. Luckily, he only had a few scrapes from hitting the ground and was more scared than anything. But had he gotten more injured, had bylaw gotten involved, had SOMETHING happened with him in between the dogs or Regan accidentally grabbing him, we would have had two dead dogs, and a child with the potential to fear dogs.

Luckily, as I walked in the door, I heard the commotion, ran out and while my mom got him inside to check him over, I broke up the dog fight and all was fine instantly. She never let Connor out alone again with the dogs there.

Did they INTEND to hurt him? Not by any means. But it was one of those situations where the dogs took something the wrong way(tug play in this instance and broke into a fight amongst one another) and Connor could have easily been FAR more hurt than he was.

Moral of the story? ANY dogs(good with kids or not) can accidentally hurt a child. This is a HUGE part of why I won't ever leave children unsupervised with dogs again. Older children is one thing, if they know how to handle a dog and dependent on age and child. But small, young children, toddlers and babies? That's just too many risks to child and baby in my opinion.

It scares me, that so many parents are WILLING to leave their dog and child alone together. That suggests to me that they're not concerned about harm coming to either animal, nor child, and that just seems... Neglectful?

Edited by author Wed Jan 9, '13 10:33pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 10:38pm PST 
Pretty much the same thing happened to me when I was a kid, Charlie. Mother was at a party and LOCKED me in the yard telling me to play with the doggies. I swear these dogs (2 entire male rotts, huge) were using me as a tug toy for like 10 mins before anyone bothered to stop drinking and see what I was screaming about. I was bloodied and everything. Couldn't escape because, hello, gate was locked!

I feel sorry for kids who can't help what deadbeat family they were born into. Some parents need a good slap.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 4:39am PST 
I am in the same boat as Sabi. I am sure my GSD was left alone with my baby son at some points (he was 9 months old when we got the dog as a puppy) red face No harm ever came to either but I would sure know better now!
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:28am PST 
Sounds like the idiot that recently posted a pic of her 18mo old son feeding his pancake to the family's 125# St. Bernard with the the caption that the dog was soo gentle. All of the sheeple were oooohing and aaaahing. All I could think was "Great, you've just taught your large dog that it's fine to take food from your kid." Keep in mind that this is a group that thinks it's fine to get rid of a dog (using the phrase "It was best for our family" because it knocks your kid over instead of actually trying to train the animal.

Yesterday, it was idiots telling someone to alpha roll (and other dominance stuff) their 13 week old Jack RussellXBeagle puppy for growling. I posted a list of Patricia McConnell links and tried to explain why that is old school thinking.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4